Two very different acoustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two very different acoustics

I've played neither (yet) but both have my attention. Which would you choose, and why?

Yamaha AC3R - concert-sized sitka/rosewood, cutaway, active electronics $900

Martin 000-15M - all mahogany, no cutaway, no electronics $1300

Re: Two very different acoustics

Originally posted by AniML View Post
    I've played neither (yet) but both have my attention. Which would you choose, and why?

Yamaha AC3R - concert-sized sitka/rosewood, cutaway, active electronics $900

Martin 000-15M - all mahogany, no cutaway, no electronics $1300
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...00-15m-natural
    Where will you plan to use this guitar? Home, Studio, In a Band, Solo performances etc etc
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Home mostly, maybe small gatherings with friends etc.

Comment

Home mostly, maybe small gatherings with friends etc.
        I mean, if you want a great sounding but basic acoustic or you are worried about resale value -it's the Martin all the way.

but if you want a great guitar, and a lot of quality and value, plus features, and you can take it places with worry of nicking it up -I'd go with the Yamaha.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have a Martin 000CE1

And I have owned several Yamaha acoustics

If you don't need the electronics then why pay for them

The Martin is a fine instrument, but so is a stripped down Yamaha
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The Martin is the way to go. The 15 series punches way above its weight class. Two things:
            -explore other “smaller” acoustic focused dealers, you can get a discount below the MAP price
            -get it setup by a good tech/luthier, the action is a mile high from the factory on purpose, get it setup to your liking

I was debating the 15 series when I got my HD-28V, it’s a different tone, but almost as good.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              I have a Martin 000CE1

And I have owned several Yamaha acoustics

If you don't need the electronics then why pay for them

The Martin is a fine instrument, but so is a stripped down Yamaha
              I bought a couple F series Yamahas over the years. They are a great value. I am looking at the AC3R (or maybe the AC3M) as a slightly different flavor of the Taylor 114 I already have, and a plus to add the electronics.

The Martin appeals to me as a more traditional instrument and something I have never had anything like before.

If you've tried either or their siblings please chime in.

Comment

For a straight up pure acoustic for the acoustic ness of it all? Martin - not even a question. $1300 is a good price.

If you seek prince/performance/flexibility etc....Yamaha. All day everyday.

Personal advice: You know how we say play Les Pauls, because out of ten one will speak to you? NEVER EVER EVER buy any acoustic without it in your hands and ears. Wood means something, so does construction, and in acoustic it all varies widely.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I say go for the Martin. I find pickups on an acoustic are extremely hit or miss, so if you need to be plugged in, it's better to buy your own aftermarket. I prefer LR Baggs's Anthem (or Anthem SL if you want it $100 cheaper) pickup, it has a microphone and an under saddle pickup, so you can make it sound exactly like your unmic'ed sound, or brighter/darker without feedback.

As was mentioned earlier, the strings are set extremely high from the factory, so if you don't know what you're doing, get a pro to look at it. It's a really simple job that mostly consists of filing the bottom of the bridge and maybe nut, but it's better to pay for someone else to do it than ruin the guitar.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    For a straight up pure acoustic for the acoustic ness of it all? Martin - not even a question. $1300 is a good price.

If you seek prince/performance/flexibility etc....Yamaha. All day everyday.

Personal advice: You know how we say play Les Pauls, because out of ten one will speak to you? NEVER EVER EVER buy any acoustic without it in your hands and ears. Wood means something, so does construction, and in acoustic it all varies widely.
                    My Martin, when brand new was stiff and clangy
                    Sounded like every other $500 acoustic I had played
                    But as the wood drys and ages its tone has mellowed
                    Acoustics have to be "played in"

Sitting in the case for 20 years doesn't make it better
                    Played for 20 years makes it sing
                    EHD

Comment

So I went and played them both. I liked the Yamaha unplugged, but did not try the electronics. Felt really comfortable. Sounded ok, a little muffled, but maybe the tired factory strings.

The Martin? I fell madly in love instantly. I even tried a few other similar guitars, some same $, some less, but I was ruined. Such a basic looking guitar, but just wow. What a sleeper

It will be mine. It will be mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        My Martin, when brand new was stiff and clangy
                        Sounded like every other $500 acoustic I had played
                        But as the wood drys and ages its tone has mellowed
                        Acoustics have to be "played in"

Sitting in the case for 20 years doesn't make it better
                        Played for 20 years makes it sing
                        That's nice, but then shouldn't we only be shopping for those that have been aging in the playing cellar* for a decade?

*The playing cellar is a temperature-humidity controlled area under the Martin factory, where nude Asian virgins with a delicate touch gently play the finest of Martin guitars in a variety of styles, evenly across the fretboard, using a touch so slight as to only generate vibration without fret or finish wear. They are selected prior to the onset of puberty based on the composition of their sweat and tactile sensitivity and motor control testing. This playing cellar, with it's beautiful nude musicians is said to be as close to a tonal and musical Nirvana as can be attained on Earth.
                        Last edited by Aceman; 07-14-2019, 08:12 AM.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That's nice, but then shouldn't we only be shopping for those that have been aging in the playing cellar* for a decade?

*The playing cellar is a temperature-humidity controlled area under the Martin factory, where nude Asian virgins with a delicate touch gently play the finest of Martin guitars in a variety of styles, evenly across the fretboard, using a touch so slight as to only generate vibration without fret or finish wear. They are selected prior to the onset of puberty based on the composition of their sweat and tactile sensitivity and motor control testing. This playing cellar, with it's beautiful nude musicians is said to be as close to a tonal and musical Nirvana as can be attained on Earth.
                          Or have different expectations from newer instruments

Either or

You know
                          EHD

Comment

Yes, but it’s the tonal equivalent of mag swapping. Starting with a good guitar and good wood is most of it. Also, I think “playing in” is closer to Neil Young than your example above.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

So I went and played them both. I liked the Yamaha unplugged, but did not try the electronics. Felt really comfortable. Sounded ok, a little muffled, but maybe the tired factory strings.

The Martin? I fell madly in love instantly. I even tried a few other similar guitars, some same $, some less, but I was ruined. Such a basic looking guitar, but just wow. What a sleeper

It will be mine. It will be mine.

I’m telling you, for a pure acoustic guitar the 15 series is awesome.

If you want to amplify the K&K Pure Western or the LR Baggs Aura systems are great. The K&K needs a Preamp though.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X