my new faded SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new faded SG

I've always thought SGs were really cool, but for some reason never bought one. About a week ago while browsing reverb I came across this faded SG and couldn't resist picking it up.

It had a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge, but I almost immediately swapped it out for a Duncan Custom I had laying in my parts drawer. Still has the stock 490R in the neck and they make a real nice pair. I thought I'd want to swap all the pots to 500k, but the Gibson 300k (or whatever it is) seems fine. The neck is warm yet clear and the Custom in the bridge barks with authority.

I cleaned the fretboard, cleaned the frets with some 0000 steel wool, swapped in the Duncan, then put on a fresh set of 9s. This thing sings. I can feel the body vibrating when I strum it. It's got the big 50s style neck profile that almost feels as thick as the little SG body. It's super comfortable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	67047588_10162115892240441_6176064213169995776_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	5851920

I think I'm an SG guy now.
    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Re: my new faded SG

I, too, am an SG guy. Enjoy!

Comment

Congrats on the new guitar, and the pickup swap...you made the right choices!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That is a nice guitar and I really like the satin finish on it. I'm an SG guy myself and I sure dig my Gibson SG Special w/ ebony FB.

;>)/
        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Welcome to the club, young master Angus

Comment

Oh man...I have in my head what I want my SG to be when I get one...but those faded's do something for me too.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Sg's are one of my addictions. Congrats on the purchase

Comment

Congrats on your SG. I agree that there is just something about an SG that makes you want rock out all day. Maybe it IS the vibration that you feel coming through the body. I have definitely noticed that myself. It's a bonding promoter. Makes it hard to separate yourself from the guitar.

I've got several SGs including a "faded" with P-90s. Man, that thing just screams. And an SG Custom with 3 humbuckers and custom switching so I can play any pup or any combination of pups. That one has a 50's neck and a Custom with A8 in the bridge. I can certainly understand how the 300k pots can work very well with the stock Custom (to reduce some of the shrill high end) but the C8 with 500k pots in an SG is a match made in heaven. One of these days you aught to try it.

I've also got several SG types, like an old Wilshire with mini-hums....an amazing sounding guitar.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Nice -SGs fit my hand like a glove and LPs do not -except 58-60 LP Specials and Jrs which are more similar to SGs than standard LPs in neck and fretboard anyways.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Beautiful guitar welcome to the club Mr. Iommi

Comment

Congratulations, and great choices! I have one of those in that Worn Brown and they are great guitars.
                      "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Congrats on getting the best guitar in the world

As for "this thing sings"... true, it does, but if you ask me, a Les Paul sings while an SG squeals. I mean that in a very good, almost sexual way. Its neck dive also invites a firm grip of the neck but I'll refrain from going into detail to avoid unnecessary innuendo.
                        Last edited by omg81; 07-24-2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X