banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to wire a pot to blend series/parallel for a humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to wire a pot to blend series/parallel for a humbucker?

It seems like there should be, does anyone have a diagram?

Re: Is it possible to wire a pot to blend series/parallel for a humbucker?

It's possible but you'd need a stereo pot (I don't remember the true name for it). Basically, 2 pots on one shaft/knob.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01 View Post
      It's possible but you'd need a stereo pot (I don't remember the true name for it). Basically, 2 pots on one shaft/knob.

Now, this would be an interesting "spin" on a "spin-a-split".
      I would be curious to see the diagram also.

Comment

On my phone right now so I can't draw a diagram but the basics are:
        With the shaft pointed up, connect the 2 right lugs together.
        Connect the red to one center lug, white to the other.
        On the pot with the red wire, connect the left lug to where you have the black wire.
        On the pot with the white, connect the left lug to ground.

-Greg

Guitars:

Comment

Is it possible to wire a pot to blend series/parallel for a humbucker?

Not sure how it would work, since you need to take the series connection from the second coil and blend it to ground, while not shorting out the first coil. Then that series connection on the first coil needs to blend to hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, it's a theory. I've never actually tried it out. It makes sense in my head.

-Greg

Guitars:

Comment

I can't imagine how that would produce any useful tones even if you could do it. But I don't think it would work...you'd get some shorting out in the in-between areas. Because how could you get the white wire going to red AND to ground, which has to happen as you're blending from series to parallel.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You can gradually blend in one pup to another, or one coil into another, But you can't blend-in a short to ground. It's either grounded or it isn't...all or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                  Not sure how it would work, since you need to take the series connection from the second coil and blend it to ground, while not shorting out the first coil. Then that series connection on the first coil needs to blend to hot.

Buddy had a Washburn that faded from series to parallel, and just like David, I couldn't figure out how it didn't short out.

On a related note, I love parallel to series switching, but didn't find benefits for the blended tone on this Washburn.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                  What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
                    Buddy had a Washburn that faded from series to parallel, and just like David, I couldn't figure out how it didn't short out.

On a related note, I love parallel to series switching, but didn't find benefits for the blended tone on this Washburn.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                    Now that you mention this I think I’ve seen that schematic some years back.

It’s kind of like pickup blend controls. I like them on bass, but tried it on one of my guitars and pretty much used it like a switch. The slight mixing of the pickups weren’t all that interesting.

Comment

Comment

I'm not good at reading schematics. Where are the ground connections in that? Which ones are the Red, Green, Black, and White coil wires? What is a "Spule"?

Comment

That diagram makes more sense.

Left side is ground, right side (Out) is hot. "Spule" is coil.

-Greg

Guitars:

Comment

Well, I am still not understanding that diagram.

Where is the red wire from the screw coil making connection to the white wire of the slug coil to get series?
                            Where is the white wire of the slug coil making connection to ground and the red wire of the screw coil connection to the black wire of the slug coil to get parallel?
                            And how can you have the red wire gradually blending from black to ground?

It seems to me that as soon as the white wire touches ground in the least when it is already connected to the red wire, the screw coil will be shorted to ground and you will have split to the slug coil.

I'd really like to learn how this can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Well, I am still not understanding that diagram.

Where is the red wire from the screw coil making connection to the white wire of the slug coil to get series?
                              Where is the white wire of the slug coil making connection to ground and the red wire of the screw coil connection to the black wire of the slug coil to get parallel?
                              And how can you have the red wire gradually blending from black to ground?

It seems to me that as soon as the white wire touches ground in the least when it is already connected to the red wire, the screw coil will be shorted to ground and you will have split to the slug coil.

I'd really like to learn how this can be done.

In this the wire marked blue is the white slug coil wire. Green and red are obvious. The right most wire is black

Comment

Working...
                              X