How Would You Repair This Neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Would You Repair This Neck?

I've not purchased this neck - but have been searching necks with broken truss rods to experiment with. Wondering if this is a worthwhile repair or too much expert mode?

Neck is back-bowed. Taking a guess: Owner recognized back-bow, made an attempt to correct using the BiFlex/backing out the nut, but the nut/rod itself buckled, creating the crack.

Truss rod/nut are apparently not stripped. Off-hand my repair ideas are:
    • Attempt to add some reinforcement behind the first fret area inside the truss channel
    • Sand the first fret area to the correct radius up top, repair with superglue, refin. as-necessary
    • Reinstall new truss nut & plug (note- the seller mentions the hole is slightly on the large side, and does appear to have been dug out by a convict using a spork.)
    • Clamp neck & apply heat; back out installed truss nut to engage 'biflex' function and remove back-bow
    • Put out all the incidental fires

Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: How Would You Repair This Neck?

Nope

even if the neck were free.

The truss rod replacement wouldn't be that bad
    But for the first time adventurer

Too many unforeseen things to go horribly wrong and stop the adventure in its tracks
    New necks, or at least, nice unbroken used ones
    Are too easy to come by
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Since all the "work" on the neck, has anyone bolted it back on a body and strung it up to see if it's still within playable range?
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Since all the "work" on the neck, has anyone bolted it back on a body and strung it up to see if it's still within playable range?
        The seller's pics show a straight-edge indicating back-bow (measured at the frets, not the wood) but it's unclear if that would straighten itself out if it was mounted/strung to a guitar. Might be something to ask then.
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Yeah, I’d definitely want to see it strung and at tension to see how bad the problem is - too great a risk of unseen crap to warrant trusting the seller’s word alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The guy who owns this posted it on MLP and asked how to fix the biflex rod. It was bought with a non functioning rod and an inherent backbow.
            He'd had those problems, then tried to fix them. He then made a new endplug and decided to just ram it in there with a hammer rather than making it the right dimension.
            The split in the fretboard was the result of this botching. And the newly installed rod didn't work either.

He was told the neck was toast.......I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole as it's pretty much firewood.

Comment

I think he's right. It's toast. And free is the right price. Someone could practice their fretting techniques, or practice refinishing. It probably could be fixed, but only by someone with experience and the time to devote to fooling with it.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Good warnings everyone $100 or so if you search Reverb.

Comment

Working...
                X