Changing string spread at bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing string spread at bridge

Looking to upgrade the bridge on my schechter omen extreme 6. I have no problem finding matches for bridge post spacing but am stuck having to change the radius or string spread. I figure I'd rather have the matched radius, but I'm wondering will I notice any ill-effects from changing string spread from 2 1/16 to 2 in?

Re: Changing string spread at bridge

Originally posted by Npinedo13 View Post
    Looking to upgrade the bridge on my schechter omen extreme 6. I have no problem finding matches for bridge post spacing but am stuck having to change the radius or string spread. I figure I'd rather have the matched radius, but I'm wondering will I notice any ill-effects from changing string spread from 2 1/16 to 2 in?
    No.

But I believe Schaller makes a roller bridge that you can just rotate each saddle to lengthen or shorten the string spread at the bridge. It's really quite nice.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      No.

But I believe Schaller makes a roller bridge that you can just rotate each saddle to lengthen or shorten the string spread at the bridge. It's really quite nice.
      I saw that! So the rollers are fixed but still movable? I dont like the idea of "free floating" rollers that might shift position under heavy string attack.

Comment

The one I'm thinking of has the rollers mounted on screw threads (not a fixed axle) so you can rotate the rollers and move them left or right on those threads. It can change the width by about 4mm.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I see one like that on the stewmac site, however it's for offset bridge posts. I'm 90% sure I'll need the straight one. I'll have to double check. Current front runner is the schaller locking roller

Comment

Who has a 2 inch spread? That is my preference but two of my guitars are 2 1/16 or 2 1/8. (Not sure of my stud spacing though).
            I bought a Schaller roller but never installed it and returned it because I thought the low E saddle might wander a bit because I play with my hand resting on the bridge a lot. But a fixed TOM with 2" would be sweet.

Comment

Hope that link works, but it's the schaller locking roller from stewmac. 2" fixed spread and 14" radius. The roller groove should be sufficient in keeping your low E in place. Unless you use a really heavy gauge.

Comment

Working...
              X