Weight Relief. How much is really possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weight Relief. How much is really possible

I checked out the PUs the Deathbuckers are absolutely awesome. And their weight is an absolute bonus point

Years of owning a Gibson Guitar made me more of a luthier than a guitarist

Comment

The only think I worry about with chambering is balance- take too much wood away and suddenly the guitar is neck-heavy, which, to me, is just as bad as a heavy guitar. But hey, I like the goody headless stuff, too (well, as long as it has only 22 frets).
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        The only think I worry about with chambering is balance- take too much wood away and suddenly the guitar is neck-heavy, which, to me, is just as bad as a heavy guitar. But hey, I like the goody headless stuff, too (well, as long as it has only 22 frets).
        You can try for a lighter neck if this is a concern. Traditional open back tuners, thin profile, no locking nut, tele headstock (or similar), wpuld make things about as light as you can get.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

billy gibbons is a tiny human being. slight of build and nothing but skin and bones. he has had some of his gibsons severely modded to the point where even the neck is chambered. granted he plays 7s on most of his guitars, 8's for slide, so there doesnt need to be much there. point being you can remove a lot of wood if you really wanna. when you layer on the distortion and have an eq handy, you can still sound HEAVY with a guitar that weighs four lbs

Comment

Weight Relief. How much is really possible

I once took a basswood Strat body, cut it open like a clam shell on my band saw, and hollowed the entire body out, except for a block up the center. The whole guitar weighs about 5 pounds. It has a nice tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really like your design!
              If you are using a through-neck the "wings" can be totally hollow, like a hollow-core door. Just make sure there is enough solid wood on each side for the trem route and mounts.

Based on my limited experience building, it seems to go like this in order of importance for making a body light: 1) light wood, 2) chambering, 3) thin body.

My scratch-built in my avatar (on the right) has a thin, chambered body made from light wood. I added the heaviest stop bar I could find and solid metal knobs because it was TOO light for my taste! I am considering adding weight to the control cavity and maybe a metal cover to replace the plastic one I made.

The Gibson Marauder in my avatar (left) I belt-sanded the heck out of the edges, front and back, and planed about 1/4" or more off of the back. That also made a noticeable difference.

Comment

Google "thinline telecaster construction" to see some examples of how hollow you can get. A 1/4" maple or spruce top covers it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursupator View Post
                  guitardoc :
                  How do you do the weight relief? just Big chambers? Round cut outs?

My brother is a carpenter, so he should know what he's doing. Even he doesn't know a thing about instruments
                  I started many years ago doing multiple chambers. Now I do one complete chamber except for a block under the bridge (my guitars are string through) and around the neck pocket.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursupator View Post
                    Looks like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100079[/ATTACH]
                    Weight reduction ideas:
                    1. That middle pickup is adding some weight. I suggest exploring the added tonal options that a 5 position or 6 position superswitch gives to a two humbucker guitar that could eliminate the need for a middle pickup and its weight.
                    2. Any kind of tremolo-type bridge is adding weight compared to a non-tremolo bridge. Typically on the order of 11 ounces (mostly in the trem block) which is substantial.
                    3. Gotoh stealth tuners -very liteweight. Weigh only slightly more than 2 ounces vs normal tuners which are typically over 9 oz.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-29-2019, 10:24 PM.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Kingswebe makes a good point: hardware really adds up. Using aluminum strap buttons, lightweight tuners (with plastic buttons) and the super-light Lace aluminum pickups mentioned earlier in this thread can add up to big differences in weight. Add a chambered and/or thin body made of light wood and you could have a seriously light guitar.
                      I assume the trem is a must-have for your metal tastes? That is a bit of weight to add.

Comment

Actually, A LOT of weight relief is possible. Check out this Strat. Personally, I used to have serious back problems to the point where the only guitar I could play was my Parker Fly Deluxe at 4 1/2 pounds. Now I play SG's mostly.

*******Please check out some of my songs:
                        https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

You can also save quite a bit of weight by using a NFT Floyd Rose with a graphite nut instead of a locking nut. Throw in some lightweight Hipshot open-gear locking tuners and you'll have all the stability of a traditional Floyd Rose setup with less weight and less roughing up your fingers on the nut.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The closer you get the the strap button on the upper horn to the 12th fret
                            The better it will balance, no matter what the body weighs

If making it yourself extend it out
                            You can always remove material later if you dont like it
                            Harder to glue it back on
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Once you get done making your guitar as light as possible, throw one of these on it.

They distribute the weight so much better than a standard strap. I don't know how many Kenny sells anymore, but the website was updated a few years ago
                              Last edited by chadd; 07-31-2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I know Gruv Gear makes a strap that distributes weight better, too.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X