7 string guitar thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7 string guitar thread

I would like to thank everyone who answered here.

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
    Not quite a response to OPs post, but right now I'm drooling over the Jackson Pro Series WR7. ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100186[/ATTACH]
    Anything information relating to the 7 strings is welcome here.
    The Jackson you are conveiting looks really cool !

Actually I changed my mind I will most probably get a Schecter KM-7 mk II instead of the PRS SE SVN. Both MIK (maybe made in the same place : World Instruments...) but specs of the Keith Merrow signature look better to me and there a guy selling one here . He will be back from holiday pretty soon...

But I need to check whether the neck is bend-friendly (I never play a 7 string... But I did not like a Ibanez 8 strings (Messhugah style) I once tried because there was just not enough room for wide bends (bottom line for me).

Click image for larger version

Name:	schecter-keith-merrow-km-7-signature-7-cordes-hh-ht-eb-large-7-93764.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	5816765
    Last edited by Francois; 08-15-2019, 07:48 AM.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Don’t judge the 8 from just trying one. You kind of have to commit and decide you’re going to figure it out. It takes a lot of experimenting with string gauges and setup to get it feeling good. On a standard scale 6, I love 10 or 11-52 strings. On the longer scale guitars, I’m using 9s on top. The tension is closer to a normal 10, but I’m gonna try 8,11,14 for the plain strings next time.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        Don’t judge the 8 from just trying one.
        Right ! (But my point was the narrow space between strings, not the gauge.)

. It takes a lot of experimenting with string gauges and setup to get it feeling good.
        I agree, this is what I did for basically all low tunings : experiment and buy strings again.

On a standard scale 6, I love 10 or 11-52 strings. On the longer scale guitars, I’m using 9s on top. The tension is closer to a normal 10
        Thanks you JB ! This is what I needed to know

Comment

Don't get too hung up on tension calculators and what the specs say for string gauges at different scale lengths. If you get that Keith Merrow Schecter, start with the strings he uses, which are 9-46+62. Be prepared for some of the strings to sound and feel good, but others to be kind of weird.

I think going with a longer scale on a 7 first is a good idea. When I got the 27" 8, it was a super long and super wide neck, and I almost got rid of it a couple times. The Legator I got last night is 27", but a width I'm used to, so it doesn't feel all that weird.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

NGD (same as the pic above).

At first sight, one string more looks like many strings. I was like "this is only 7 not 8 ?"
            Now I am getting used to it and I like it.

Comment

Nice! The more I play the Legator, the more I'm sold on long scale 7 strings. If I'd gotten this guitar first, I doubt I'd have gotten an 8 (glad I did, though).

I'll be interested to see where you land string-wise with the 26.5" scale.

Comment

I like the 10-60 set on my Schecter.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the Legator tuned down 1/2 step, really like the feel and tonality. Was listening to the band Tesseract, and decided to try out their goofball tuning- Bb, F, Bb, Eb, F, Bb, Eb. Anytime I fall back into doing too much of the same old pentatonic licks, this sort of thing works well.

Also put my 8 into this tuning, with an F below the Bb.

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
                    May I start a 7 string thread ?

I plan to get a PRS SE SVN "black red" (mostly red I would say) but we can discuss here any models... Neck scales... Tunings... String Gauge... Experiences... Likes and dislikes... and compare to the baritones.

I am interested in that 26"5 7 strings PRS mostly because the band I am starting now is baritone based, but I cannot play leads so easily on that 27"7 with 14-68 gauge (and all wounded except the last one.) I mean as easily as on a 25"5 with 10-46 strings.

How does it well to play a 10 gauge string on a 26"5 ?

One question is : Should one goes to 9 on 26"5 when you play with a 10 in 25"5 (for E or D#) I mean.

And any love for the Schecter km 7 mkiii ?
                    (My new drummer is a Keith Merrow fan which is funny for a drummer !)
                    I have a Schecter KM-7 (MKI, 26.5" scale length). We tune to Drop Ab and I use a 10-52 set with a 64 7th string. I think the 26.5" scale is best for 7-strings: enough extra tension that it can easily accommodate lower tunings and doesn't require ridiculous string gauges, but not so much that leads become difficult.

Comment

You guys and your KM-7s are killing me.

Comment

I almost got a KM-7 just like that in matte gray not too long ago just for fun. But then I thought about what the fk I was gonna do with the low B and the pain in concocting the string set cause 7-string package it's quite difficult to obtain, so I backed out.

That and the Jeff Lomis JL-7 with fixed bridge are the top of my list for 7-string guitar. Heck, Schecter made in Korea is the top of my list for metal guitar. They are ahead of Ibanez even the Prestige one, and the overpriced Schecter Japan (with cardboard case and in-house pickups) from my experience.

Comment

It's not that difficult IMHO to adapt to the lower string. It essentially allows you to play triads in three places directly across the fretboard

Comment

I went through 3 seven stringers. Traded a Jackson PS2 for this LTD H-207. Looked really nice, but just didn't play well across the board. I don't remember what pickups were in it.

Name:	ltdh207e.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	5816824

Name:	ltdh207.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	5816825

Then bought an import Jackson 7 string. Played way better than the LTD. Sold to a pal's wife for his Christmas present.

Name:	IMAG0186.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	5816826

Then seen this Dillion RG7 copy on Craigslist. He wanted to trade for a non Floyd 7 and I still had the LTD, so I made it happen. It had a Duncan ?SH7? at the bridge and a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck. The only thing I had to get was the middle string block for the lock nut. Had a piece of hard rubber doing the job. This was the best of the 3. I sold it a year or so ago and the guy was going to give it a work over.

Name:	IMAG0061_zpshpeymtgl.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	5816827

If I get back into playing, I'd like to make one. I'd probably make a 7 string version of the HM Strat.

Comment

So here is a little feedback on the KM-7 (mk II) I got saturday (and already used at the practise on sunday).
                              For the moment I am keeping the strings thta the previous owner had put on it (he said it was 11 but was shure it was lighter. He latr confirmed it was 10s)

First I agree with this :

Originally posted by bloughlin16 View Post
                              I have a Schecter KM-7 (MKI, 26.5" scale length). We tune to Drop Ab and I use a 10-52 set with a 64 7th string. I think the 26.5" scale is best for 7-strings: enough extra tension that it can easily accommodate lower tunings and doesn't require ridiculous string gauges, but not so much that leads become difficult.
                              I like the quality and all the specs of that Schecter metal axe except for one thing :
                              The very tall frets required super light touch / schredder light touch.

I could get used to the extra string in a few days but getting the super light touch similar to what you would need on a scallop fretboard is more challenging.
                              I do not mean I press very hard, but with the kind of pressure you do when doing a barred chord the thing is prone to go a 1/4 of tone sharper on certains notes.

So you cannot do a djent verse on the lower 7th string followed by a punk barred chord chorus on the same guitar. A pity
                              Those guitars are made for single notes or two notes power chord riffing.

I think getting harder strings (in standard low A#) or going back to B-E-A-D-G-B-E would solve the problem. I will try that soon.

Having said that I like it and playing mostly that one now (I have to learn).
                              This is also my first experience wit the Nazgul & Sentient.
                              Last edited by Francois; 08-21-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                                ... the pain in concocting the string set cause 7-string package it's quite difficult to obtain, so I backed out.
                                For standard tuning I just buy the same string sets I used for 6 strings 25.5" scale guitars, D'Addario 9 - 46, and pick up some single 56s for the 7th string (at least I think they are 56s, have to look when I get home), I did think the 54s that come with seven string 9" sets was a little floppy. Not sure where the pain part comes in, but I guess your screen name is deserved.

Comment

Working...
                                X