Router Help: Bosch Colt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Help: Bosch Colt

I’m building my first electric guitar, and I’m looking at buying a router. I was wondering if the Bosch Colt PR20 Palm Router would be a good option. I’m looking for it to do truss rod routing, pickup cavity’s, tremolo cavity’s, and neck pockets. If done slowly, and with a lot of small passes, would the Bosch be able to hold up?
    Last edited by A_Cold_1; 08-11-2019, 04:35 PM.

Re: Router Help: Bosch Colt

Yeah they look all right. I couldn't see what sort of shank size it takes but i'm guessing 1/4 which is the smaller of the two options but should be great for guitar stuff. Get good template router bits and you should be fine.

Comment

These are incredible for really tight corners like on a humbucker route or neck cavity.

Comment

No need to baby it, the Bosch Colt can easily handle anything guitar related.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Whatever router you get, one thing I would look for is how the height adjustment locks down. Because that is ONE THING you don't want coming loose on you.. Ask me why..

I don't recall what router I have, it is a bosch and it looks similar to what I pulled up on image search, but the height adjustment has worked itself loose in the past. I always have to stop and check it. It kind of sucks when I have to fix a mishap when that happens.

I don't know rightly what to recommend about that you'll need to shop around and see for yourself what looks solid.
          Last edited by The_Junior; 08-12-2019, 07:27 AM.

Comment

So true. last thing you want is it springing back and retracting while in use. I do doubt that's a problem with bosce.

Comment

I just use a hammer and chisel... and a Dremel.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                I just use a hammer and chisel... and a Dremel.
                With a left hand? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                  So true. last thing you want is it springing back and retracting while in use. I do doubt that's a problem with bosce.
                  I was just using my router a little while ago and I looked at the brand/model, it is indeed a bosch colt.

On the most part, it's a good router. other than the locking clamp has a chance of vibrating loose. Just one more thing to check before proceeding with anything.

Comment

I like the DeWalt DWP611 better...more power, better adjustability, locks down firmly (I've never had it slip), very durable (I use it for routing out body shapes, even). And you can find it cheaper than the Bosch.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

These are incredible for really tight corners like on a humbucker route or neck cavity.

https://www.amanatool.com/47224-s-mi...l-bearing.html
                      That's a nice bit, but not really needed for humbucker routs. A 3/8" dia bit is fine, even a 1/2" will do. The bearing on that 1/4" bit will wear out very quickly, so if you DO use it, rout everything with the 1/2" first then just touch up in the corners with the 1/4" bit. Do as little as you need to with it.

Comment

One of the things you may want to consider is whether this will evolve into a small CNC machine or not..

I started with a Bosch Colt, and I still use it for the quick manual job here and there, but I would have been better served to get the DeWalt 611 above from the beginning as it is widely used as a spindle in home CNC machines, and it has more collet options available from 3rd part sellers (like 1/8") than the Colt does..

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          That's a nice bit, but not really needed for humbucker routs. A 3/8" dia bit is fine, even a 1/2" will do. The bearing on that 1/4" bit will wear out very quickly, so if you DO use it, rout everything with the 1/2" first then just touch up in the corners with the 1/4" bit. Do as little as you need to with it.
                          The templates i have all had really tight corners. Its a good bit regardless you should give one a go.

Comment

Alright I know I made this post talking about the Bosch Colt, the same day I posted this thread I discovered the DeWalt 611, $10 more on amazon. I’ve indeed heard of the Bosch Colt hight adjustment coming loose, so I bought the DeWalt. Free one day shipping is amazing Did my first route today, a truss rod cavity. Made the line with a jig, then freehanded a bit just to widen the tip of the cavity. Very happy with my purchase, the LED lights are amazing, the base is perfect for my jig setup, and of course it’s small.

(Also, another question, how do you prevent the truss rod from coming loose inside the cavity once the fretboard is glued? Silicone?)

Comment

The templates i have all had really tight corners. Its a good bit regardless you should give one a go.
                              I've actually had one for quite a while and have used it a lot. But I only use it on soapbar P-90 routs that have to be perfect. It isn't necessary on humbucker routs that get covered by the pup mounting ring.

Comment

Working...
                              X