NGD: Total Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Total Eclipse

I realized I like my semi hollow Eclipse more than my Les Paul, mostly due to the thinner neck and conveniences weight, ergonomics, tuning stability). So I got another Eclipse (an 08 standard series in vintage black) to see if it would be an upgrade on the Les Paul as well. The idea is to have one guitar for classic rock and one for metal. Unfortunately, I don't really have room for more.

The neck on the new one is slightly thicker than the old semi hollow (which has a bolt-on maple neck). The belly cut is smaller and the set neck heel is bigger. But my only major complaint is the EMGs...

I was optimistic about the 81/60 set until it arrived but it's amazing how bad the 81 sounds. It's unusable with my Dark Terror, which I normally feel has a very useful tone knob if the input is remotely balanced. All of the patches on my Helix require significant tweaking to sound decent again. I tried adjusting pickup height but it's got to go.

The semi hollow is getting a WLH set soon and I've got a Dimarzio Evolution that hasn't been installed in over a decade to try in the new Eclipse with a PAF pro when the new pots arrive. I remember the Evo has a strong character and can be polarizing but I'll try it before buying something else. I'm also going to install some gold pickup covers (which might also help dial back the presence of the Evo).

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Re: NGD: Total Eclipse

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
    it's amazing how bad the 81 sounds.
    Welcome to the club!:-D

Actually, I'd put it this way: it sounds bad on its own. With a band context or when playin along with your fave tune it sounds totally ok because the other instruments fill out the "missing" frequencies. But whithout other instruments, its thin as paper.

Comment

I had one of those many moons ago. It was like a red stain was really nice i just wanted a superstrat more at the time.

Comment

The evos have hex screws on both sides. Play with the height to achieve your desired tone. Evo bridge and paf pro neck sounds good, just unusual for a lp type

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
          Welcome to the club!:-D

Actually, I'd put it this way: it sounds bad on its own. With a band context or when playin along with your fave tune it sounds totally ok because the other instruments fill out the "missing" frequencies. But whithout other instruments, its thin as paper.
          Yeah I can see that. But even then I think it requires an amp with a lot of bass and low mids. Otherwise it's all fizz. I should also mention this is in D standard with heavy strings.

The balance also really sucks. I had to raise the 81 up as high as possible and lower the 60 to be flush with the ring to get roughly equal output (and now the 60 sounds worse). Considering the 60 is lower output, I can't imagine how people balance the 81-85 set with the hotter 85 in the neck.

Comment

If it’s already active why not try the fishman fluence? That are light years better than anything emg ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
              If it’s already active why not try the fishman fluence? That are light years better than anything emg ever made.
              I considered it but realized the initial appeal (for me) was laziness. I don't expect I'd like the Fluence more than passive pickups so I might as well rewire the guitar. ESP installs a bridge wire taped off so it's easy. I maybe would've stayed with actives to avoid drilling a hole but not to avoid a little soldering.

I already have the Evo so cost is a factor in deciding to try that first. I remember liking the PAF Pro (though it's been a really long time and there's no guarantees) and I'm pretty sure I could find another bridge pickup that works with it if I don't like the Evo.

Comment

I hate EMGs. Their tone is forgettable and bland at best to my ears. The first two ESP Eclipses that I had, I put Duncan JB/59s in. The last one I put Fluence Moderns in. I loved those pups in that guitar! I'm thinking about putting some Fluence singles in one or two of my strats. They really are great pups.
                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

The EMGs are out. The Evo and PAF Pro are in. I recorded a clip before the swap, so I'll record a comparison once I get rid of the fresh string sound.

I'm proud to say that I rewired it without needing a schematic and it worked first try... On the other hand, it took me half an hour to figure out how these Gotoh locking tuners work. WTF just put a knob on the back. And they reverse thread the bottom 3 tuners.

Comment

Working...
                  X