banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you set up a guitar for slide, but still have it fun to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you set up a guitar for slide, but still have it fun to play?

Yeah, I know that you can just raise the hell out of the action and it'll work for slide . . . that's why guitars that suck are awesome for it. I've been playing some slide on my acoustic with a heavy brass slide and it sounds great - deep full, and slippery ringing goodness. The slide just moves nicely while resting on the strings. When I try to do the same on my electrics it's not working at all. The slide pushes the string down too much and bashes into the fret . . . and if I go lightly enough that it's not hitting the frets it won't sound the note properly and just buzzes.

Do people use lighter slides for electric than acoustic or something? Am I that heavy handed? I know I could set up a dedicated slide guitar with huge strings and high action and get it to work, but I'd really like to do it with medium-low action and normal strings (.11s) and just add the slide as an occasional thing for some colour. Am I asking too much there? Is there some sort of trick I don't know?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: How do you set up a guitar for slide, but still have it fun to play?

The trick is to raise the action just enough so that the slide doesn't cause fret buzz. I'd say I like my action medium to slightly high, so I can play slide on most of my guitars as long as I use a light touch. I also use a heavy brass slide most of the time, so I don't know if material plays much of a role in setup.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

May people just have a different guitar for slide...especially if you are used to thinner strings with low action.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I am sure that it is far from textbook correct but it works for me fine. I use my regular light string, low action guitars and a very light touch considering the slide. It is Hoolahan type where most of the material is sawn off, making it much lighter than a typical metal or glass tube. Less mass, easier to control I guess.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Depends on your approach if you are using gain the fret buzz is not as prominent and can actually give a gritty effect (think Page). I find low action is less of an issue on the thicker strings versus high up on the neck. I don't play enough slide to set up a dedicated guitar for it so I just adapt to what I have when I take the slide out.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!

After a lot of futzing around last night and this morning, I think I've figured out something that'll work. First, the heavy brass slide that works great for an acoustic with medium strings is a total no go on electric. Even on 11s it's just too much weight and pushes the strings low - this happens from the resting weight even without any pressure. I cut a piece of copper pipe in that was lying around in our garage and gave it a go - this is about a quarter as heavy and works much better for electric. Sounds much worse on the acoustic though.

All my guitars have medium low action, but the one that was giving me the most trouble seems to have something funky going on with the nut. It's like the strings aren't radiused properly, the D and B strings seem to be a little lower than the others . . . Which means the pressure from the surrounding strings makes you push harder to cleanly sound a note on the low ones. Which then bashes the slide into the frets. Oddly enough, this doesn't seem to make any noticible difference when playing regularly. Guess I'll look into replacing the nut.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i play slide a lot and dont switch guitars. everything has 11's but ive used 10s and that can work. warren haynes put it "a little too high for leads, a little to low for slide" when talking about his action. derek trucks action isnt high at all surprisingly. i use a heavy brass slide for acoustic and a glass bottle for electric. i can get by with the heavy brass on electric but its much harder to wield. like most things, the more you do it, the easier and more natural it is

Comment

If my pinky finger I broke in May at the knuckle doesn't come back (it's really stiff and slow still) -It'll be my slide finger

I play 11s and they slide and play well on tall vintage and jumbo set ups.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Schubb finger slide
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                    Schubb finger slide
                    Cool man!
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I play slide on one song in our set. I’m playing a Parker P-38, with a 9-46 set and very low action. I already have another guitar tuned down to open C, so I didn’t want to use yet another guitar just for slide. Plus I alternate between slide and fretting parts in the song.

The way I got around the slide pressing the strings into the frets was to use a very heavy brass slide. This way I don’t have to press the slide against the strings, which was a problem with the glass slide I was using.

So I just have to hold the slide against the strings and prevent it from crashing into the frets. It’s a lot easier than it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

its really all about technique and finding what works for you. i use glass for electric because thats what duane did and by the time i discovered lowell george, i was already stuck on glass but ive played slide with a big lighter on someone elses shredstick and made it work

Comment

I have a couple of really nice glass slides I keep in the house but I practice and gig with brass. I have broken so many glass slides I just gave up after the last one rolled off my head and shattered on the floor. I prefer glass but, o' well.

Comment

That's funny, I was going to recommend you try a piece of copper pipe! Works for me too.

Comment

Learn the proper right hand muting (with fingers) and left hand damping (behind the slide) from David Hamburger. He has videos on Youtube and books. I learned from him.

For the action it depends if you want to mix fretted notes and slide or play slide only.

You can get easily a lap steel-like super high action with just a extended nut (quite cheap by the way) which requires no permanent modification to your guitar set up.
                              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                              X