34 year reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 34 year reunion

I built my first guitar back in 1985 for a client who wanted an all walnut Les Paul, but all round and molded. Here is the only picture I have of it from way back then... The fuzzy picture was taken with an old Kodak 110. The body is one piece of very heavy walnut from a slab about 6 feet long. I still have 4 feet of the old slab, which should be well seasoned by now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image7.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	5852660
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 08-23-2019, 08:19 PM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: 34 year reunion

I hadn't seen Troy or the guitar in 34 years, and he had some more work done to it - like had a Gibson logo and a pineapple / crown inlayed by someone else. He recently had it refinished, and installed all new gold hardware and replaced the old DiMarzio Super D's with Duncan 59's. He asked me to set it up from scratch, remake the bone nut, and get it all squared away. Here are some fresh pix taken hours ago.... It still plays great, and sounds good. Those are the original frets and ebony fingerboard, hardly worn. He still uses Ernie Ball Extra Slinkys (.008) and has a light touch. The frets needed a very light level and polish. What do you think?

Name:	SAM_3451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	5816855

Name:	SAM_3452.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	5816856

Name:	SAM_3456.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	5816857

Name:	SAM_3457.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	5816858
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 08-25-2019, 07:21 AM.

Comment

By the way, we are still waiting for the truss rod cover and control knobs to come in.... Hopefully they will be here soon and I can deliver the guitar to the client. He said he still has the original receipt at home and will bring it to show me when he picks it up. He says he wanted it "made new" again, and plans on giving it to his grandkids when he gets too old to play.
      Last edited by ICTGoober; 08-23-2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Cool! He basically had you build him a The Paul.
        I like a walnut body. Don't think I have ever played a walnut neck.

Comment

Cool! He basically had you build him a The Paul. I like a walnut body. Don't think I have ever played a walnut neck.
          Yes, quite popular back then. He could have purchased a The Paul for less money than I charged him, too - but he wanted it custom made to his specs. Despite the weight, it's quite comfy to play sitting down or hanging on a strap.

Comment

Beautiful guitar. I don't understand though why he put a Gibson logo on the headstock.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I would just be proud it was a custom guitar, but people do weird things. How much does it weigh? It looks like a very cool instrument, but I like the before pic better.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

How much does it weigh?
                Guessing.... 11.5 pounds. It's not the heaviest thing I've seen with strings. I used to own an old Jazz Bass from the 70's that weighed 16 pounds. I only played it when sitting, and I'm a big guy.

Comment

I don't understand though why he put a Gibson logo on the headstock.
                  I'll ask him...

Comment

Gibson logo? WTF seriously try harder next time.

Comment

I have a The Paul myself. Definitely a heavy guitar. Looks nice all the way down to the hardware. Does the headstock say Gibsun though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does the headstock say Gibsun though?
                        It's a real Gibson pearl inlay. No idea where it came from or who inlayed it (I don't do inlays).

It was great to see the guitar again after all this time. I had wondered for decades what happened to it. Troy moved back to town a year ago, and I heard he still owned it, and hoped I'd get to see him and the axe soon.
                        Last edited by ICTGoober; 08-24-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

You made a "The Paul" as your first guitar,... Haha badass.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I really like it. This guitar is awesome.

Well, except for the G logo. I think it was completely unnecessary to butcher this into the headstock. This axe stands great by its own right. What the heck he tried to validate or whatever?

But yep, people and their weird ideas, eh?

Meh.
                            Wackor
                            Ørdøg
                            NecroPolo
                            Diabolus in Musica
                            SIDrip Alliance
                            Book of Shadows
                            RKH

Comment

So the guy wanted a Gibson logo... who gives a #$%&? That the owner wanted it is the only thing that matters.

Cool guitar. And awesome that it was reunited with its "father" after so many years.
                              "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Working...
                              X