Bridge Reviews/Pics: Jaguar & Jazzmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Reviews/Pics: Jaguar & Jazzmaster

Since I happened to have three un-installed at one time (and a couple others installed but documented previously,) I decided to make a little post. Caveat - I'm sure there are great and terrible examples of each bridge type, but from my experience beyond the specific/picture examples the AVRI/Vintage units tend to be excellent to perfect, Squier more middling/random, down to MIJ/CIJ which can be anywhere from useable to a nightmare. That said, they all can be made to work- but the work involved goes from 'none/trouble free' to 'messing with required.'

Reviews for all the bridges (not named 'Beau' - sorry Beau) :

AVRI/unknown year: A+
    Great bridge; clearances between the saddles and baseplate are *tight* as hell, but the springs are just a bit flimsier than the vintage unit. Intonation screws are cut short so you can freely raise the saddles without hitting the strings. Saddles seem steel/nickel or some quite magnetic material. No thread pitch change between the saddles, and height adjustment screws are recessed - all the screws are also firm and not rattly or with too great tolerances (note - 17mm legs which is 'normal,' this is important later on.)

Vintage/unknown year: A++
    First vintage bridge of two I own, this review is representative of both. I totally disassembled this bridge and massaged all the threads with white grease before re-assembly and use; this is by far the most stable bridge of the group, VERY tight tolerances so no rattles, you can't move any of the saddles with your finger (same applies to the AVRI.) Also, very stiff, thick springs to the point where some people may require them to be cut short in order for the bridge to intonate on your particular guitar.

This is good, as it pretty much kills the ability for the saddles to lose energy or rattle. I forgot to measure the legs, but believe they were long/same as AVRI. Apparently steel/nickel magnetic saddles too.

'96 MIJ: B-
    Here's where it gets interesting - the MIJ bridge isn't great. For the biggest plus: The legs are actually shorter by 2mm than any other bridge, and this works better with the shorter modern bridge thimbles in particular. Reason: use any other bridge with the 'short' depth thimbles and your action may not be able to go low enough. No other bridge has this spec. legs. Also - the saddles themselves are a different pitch for the low and high strings, so the grooves are wider at the bass end.

Now for the bad: The clearances are just meh - it's possible to induce rattle if your saddles are not totally level (ex. one is 'hanging' and not touching the base.) The intonation screws are not girthy enough and can't satisfy their plate, so you can move say the high-E with your finger if you want to; not good. You can compenesate by stretching the (flimsy) spring. Also - these saddles are apparently zinc, and a lot less zingy than the vintage or AV saddles (you may actually like this; zinc isn't terrible.) Height adjustment hex sizes are all larger from here on out, and the intonation screws can actually interfere with the string if you adjust the saddle high enough (again - not necessary on the AVRI or vintage because they're shorter.)

Last bad thing - this bridge's grandpa out-lived it. The vintage bridge above lasted several decades with no ill effect, but the MIJ's intonation screws and saddles fused together in a giant cloud of corrosion in less than half the time; screw heads twisted off. Replacement are Allparts, which seem to be the exact same spec (despite allegedly being 'nickel.') The plate overall looks pretty terrible for being a lot younger, the chrome is cheap.

'05 CIJ: C-
    Pretty terrible bridge. This easily has the worst clearances between the baseplate/intonation screws (wiggle like hell,) flimsiest/short springs, rattliest grub screws; it's bridges like this that make people think Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridges have an inherent bad design. There are bad TOMs, bad Strat vibratos etc. - and this is the Jaguar/Jazzmaster equivalent. It also retains the longer legs of the US and Squier bridges - same in all other aspects as the MIJ, just worse (I fixed mine by stretching the intonation springs an extraordinary amount.)

'12 Squier: B
    Actually a damn decent bridge - pretty solid, though not as good as the AVRI or vintage. No rattles whatsoever -but this is the only one I have that has the (allegedly frequent) problem of the two height screws backing off over time. Not really a big deal, but annoying. All other aspects are similar to the CIJ.

AVRI

Vintage

Top-bottom both pics: '96 MIJ/Allparts, '05 CIJ & '12 Squier

LR/TB - CIJ, MIJ, Squier
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Bridge Reviews/Pics: Jaguar & Jazzmaster

This is a really cool topic that I've never read about before. Thanks for the info!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Good review. I still think the best, at a reasonable price, is the Mustang bridge especially one like Warmoth sells with individually height adjustable saddles. Going aftermarket, I've heard really good things about the Mastery bridge, but never tried it. And the RSD in the Custom Shop guitars is really good, unfortunately they dont sell it on its own.
      sigpic
      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
        Good review. I still think the best, at a reasonable price, is the Mustang bridge especially one like Warmoth sells with individually height adjustable saddles. Going aftermarket, I've heard really good things about the Mastery bridge, but never tried it. And the RSD in the Custom Shop guitars is really good, unfortunately they dont sell it on its own.
        The adjustable Mustang bridge looks like it could be a good idea to address strings slipping off the saddles; I only have one guitar that suffers from the issue, because it uses an MIJ vibrato with narrower spacing than is ideal (so when you line up the strings on the fretboard, the low E has a slanting path to the bridge.) This doesn’t happen using a US vibrato; the string pull is much straighter. Lower gauge strings also stay planted better in the stock saddles (so it’s ironic how many people use crazy high guage strings on Jaguars/Jazzmasters - yet I use 9s.)

I have a few different Mustang bridges I may add to the mix here - (Allparts, Vintage, Japan.) I only use Mustang bridges on Mustangs though. I’m even tempted to use a Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridge on a Mustang, since it would better elevate the strings off the back of the baseplate without raising the tailpiece.

There are a lot of threads in places like Offsetguitars.com where people complain about the Mastery rattling, the saddle not staying put, or binding/messing with tuning. I owned one for a while and was not a fan/didn’t see any benefit to it. I think people use the Mastery to ameliorate the symptoms of an already poor setup; they can be made to work, but by the time it does you could have got your stock bridge running properly- and some still have issues post-Mastery. On my less friendly days I’ll call them snake oil for people who can’t figure out how to set up their own guitars.

I’ve never owned a Staytrem but I like the idea of that bridge much better. The nylon inserts in particular keep the saddles from moving on the baseplate and are a good idea -but one you can approximate with mods to the stock bridge (if you can find thicker springs, that will do the same thing.) It’s also a benefit they moved the intonation screws beside the string so you can raise saddles higher. I just prefer being able to individually raise/lower the action of each saddle; there are geometric reasons a fixed-radius bridge isn’t even ideal for the radius it’s meant for so I’d rather just be able to adjust each saddle.

The RSD I’m genuinely curious about.
        Last edited by Silence Kid; 08-25-2019, 08:11 AM.
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I had a serious problem with the bridge of a MIJ Jazzmaster (1996) : With that bridge design, for any bend above 2 half tone the note would be instantly killed by the bend. I would say this was designed for surf music or jazz. You can play The Cure or grunge on it, but no Hendrix.

Otherwise I liked that guitar and espacially its neck. And it was aztec gold (!) A pity I have no pic now.
          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Weird for sure - I struggle to see how any bridge design can kill a bend. Never had a problem making pretty huge bends with any of my Jaguars/Jazzmasters; same as any guitar really. Sounds more like a neck/fretwork issue; MIJs use a 7.25” radius, and that is a known cause of bending difficulties - though even then with a good setup you should be able to bend and not have it ‘die.’

Hendrix apparently used a Jazzmaster at times too.

(EDIT: it’s possible the setup was wonky enough that the mentioned long MIJ intonation screws were interfering with the string when you tried to bend it, but that is solved by lowering the screws/raising the baseplate as necessary and I assume one would notice if that were the case. One reason I prefer the MIA bridges is the shorter intonation screws can’t contact the string, even if for some reason someone jacks the saddle action way up.)
            Last edited by Silence Kid; 08-27-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X