CITES changes in the works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CITES changes in the works?

An international endangered species treaty that placed trade restrictions on rosewood is poised to exempt musical instruments from the regulations.

So, the travel ban may be lifted soon. What about the makers ban?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: CITES changes in the works?

Saw this. Encouraging.

But the fires raging in the Amazon are REALLY terrifying, and not just from the issue of tonewoods.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

One thing about the whole ban that was good was that it forced some makers to consider other woods- which isn't really a bad thing. Guitarists are stuck on just a handful of woods to use in building, mostly due to tradition.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

But the fires raging in the Amazon are REALLY terrifying
        A little research or even paying close attention to recent stories show pictures or videos of burning in scrubland or prairie, NOT a rain forest (I hate that term. When I think Amazon, I think a fricking JUNGLE). These fires are actually normal and numbers show they are at a low period historically.

If anyone actually READS THE ARTICLE, it explains that CITES regs came about because Chinese furniture makers were using up rosewood and other fine woods (exotics to us, domestics to them) like water. Musical instruments makers only use about 7 percent of the world's woods for instruments. The CITES stuff was a kneejerk reaction to a perceived problem by very dim bureaucrats who didn't grasp the real problem, and slapped something together quickly to get the screamers off their backs.

SO, to sum up. The planet's not on fire, and guitar makers are not the problem. In fact, guitar makers are the ones actually doing something about it (like Bob Taylor replanting ebony trees in Africa and Asia).
        Last edited by ICTGoober; 08-28-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          In fact, guitar makers are the ones actually doing something about it (like Bob Taylor replanting ebony trees in Africa and Asia).
          I once saw a video interview with him where he explained that whole re-planting thing. His approach was quite fascinating I must say. If I recall well, he even has some exclusive trading rights on African ebony. I am not much of an environmentalist myself, but it was really a sad sight where he showed that up until recently complete trees knocked down were left to rot just because a lighter stripe was in the ebony. It was refreshing to hear when he said that woods used for making instruments are produced by nature and right now nature gives us striped ebony, so we should adapt our ways.

Comment

We can blame Martin for not using all those trees with stripes in them. They've been logging trees since World War I, and wanted only the blackest ebony. Only in the last 25 years or so did Martin finally start staining fingerboards jet black... Chris Martin should have done re-planting before Bob Taylor ever burst on the scene.

Comment

We can blame Martin for not using all those trees with stripes in them. They've been logging trees since World War I, and wanted only the blackest ebony. Only in the last 25 years or so did Martin finally start staining fingerboards jet black... Chris Martin should have done re-planting before Bob Taylor ever burst on the scene.
              Be careful... otherwise people might get the idea that they can't just endlessly consume things without their being some consequence. God knows we can't have that.

I'll echo Mincer's statement about pushing the idea for alternative woods. Though the discerning player knows only the blackest ebony is worth playing on, some others might just figure out a way to make music with other materials. Who knows... their instruments might even sound AND look good in the process.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I don't get it. Couldn't they just stain the white stripe in the ebony black if that's a problem?
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I don't get it. Couldn't they just stain the white stripe in the ebony black if that's a problem?
                  Yes. Most guitar makers I know (and guitar repairman) have a bottle of ebonizing stain made from vinegar and steel wool. And we use it for covering mineral stains in wood that we or a client want to look darker. It will even stain maple dark gray.

I should add that there are several kinds of ebony, most have gray or white streaks. There is even pink ebony, which is highly prized and seldom used on guitars.

Ebony became popular for fingerboards because of its hardness and smooth look when sanded. But dumb people thought that the color was the important feature. Harmony guitars used pearwood stained black way back before WWII. It worked fine, but as the fingers abraded the wood - it got light spots.
                  Last edited by ICTGoober; 08-28-2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Interesting, but the guys I know will likely stick to Pau Ferro

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by Myaccount876
                    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Harmony guitars used pearwood stained black way back before WWII. It worked fine, but as the fingers abraded the wood - it got light spots.
                      They were definitely still doing the staining thing in the 60s. I've got a Stella H922 where the black stain has started to come out of the fretboard in the most played areas. Thought it was stained maple or something though.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Interesting, but the guys I know will likely stick to Pau Ferro
                        Fast becoming one of my favorites for fingerboards.

Comment

Fast becoming one of my favorites for fingerboards.
                          I know right?

The grain looks great and it sounds so snappy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Myaccount876
                          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I know right?
                            The grain looks great and it sounds so snappy.
                            Plus it's less expensive and works very well. Also, the sawdust doesn't make me sneeze like ebony dust will.

Comment

I doubt there will be any drastic policy shift.

Comment

Working...
                              X