banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson licensing builds to Echopark Guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson licensing builds to Echopark Guitars?

I've heard that Gibson is licensing Gibson guitar builds to Echopark Guitars. I did a Google search, and found several nightmarish comments regarding this company. Does anyone here have any experience with Echopark Guitars? Are they as bad as some people are saying?

Re: Gibson licensing builds to Echopark Guitars?

...So did Gibson get bored waiting for their dial-up to connect and do a HotBot search on Echo Park's reputation - or did they knowingly accept another PR bungle thinking they could power through it? You can't make this stuff up, huh.

Before the 100 page flaming Echo Park threads of shame started coming around, I remember the guitars being pretty well lauded/gorgeous - apparently the move to Detroit and teething issues related to that exist as the pivot point. I've never dealt with them, but it's a shame to watch anyway.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I don't know anything about that company...but I think only a few companies took Gibson up on their offer to license their designs. I am sure some interesting court cases will happen in the next year or so.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I don't know anything about that company...but I think only a few companies took Gibson up on their offer to license their designs. I am sure some interesting court cases will happen in the next year or so.
        Why would Gibson license their designs, especially after releasing that goofy "play authentic" clip?

Comment

ive not seem many echopark guitars in the wild but they seem to have gotten into the hands of some people that i appreciate like charlie star

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
            Why would Gibson license their designs, especially after releasing that goofy "play authentic" clip?
            So they can make some money from the builders copying their designs. In their mind it’s offsetting the money they lose when people buy other guitars.

I doubt they will be able to defend their trademarks because they never tried to defend them for the past 40 years. Fender tried this and lost. The court said they allowed their designs to become generic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
              Business 101 here really.........

Much easier to make money off those reallywanting to use things like the headstock shape and other aspects. Fender has done the same thing already with Warmoth and others.

And a licensing agreement makes it Authentic for those makers of course. But just for shape rather than the ability to put a G logo on there.

Comment

I wish they'd license the headstock shape to THEMSELVES for the Epiphone line.
                ---------------------------
                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  ive not seem many echopark guitars in the wild but they seem to have gotten into the hands of some people that i appreciate like charlie star
                  Speaking of Charlie Starr. I purchased a set of Tyson Tone 57 Wind P90's for my LP Deluxe goldtop last year, but never installed them. I traded a set of Ludwig drums for a new 2015 LP Less Plus P-90 Goldtop. The Less Plus sounds so good, I ended-up tossing the Tyson's in my top drawer. Everyone has a top drawer, don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                    I wish they'd license the headstock shape to THEMSELVES for the Epiphone line.
                    But that was Epiphone’s headstock since before Gibson bought them.

Comment

I know. Still don't care for it on LPs, SGs and the like.

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                      But that was Epiphone’s headstock since before Gibson bought them.

---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Gibsons only mis step here (and it was a BIG one) was that rant by Agnesi.

The market for clones is tiny.......I hang out on luthier forums here and there, and even there you get only a fraction of the builds being full-on Gibson clones (including logo). Most of the builders are individuals who are making only for their own use and maybe 1 or 2 instruments.
                        Since Bartlett guitars and Gil Yaron moved to putting their own designs into place, there are no 'high volume' boutique builders any more.

They can make great money from places like Warmoth and Precision too.........if they charge the right price.

Comment

Is Echo Park going to be making “Gibson” guitars or are they going to be making “Echo Park” guitars with body and headstock shapes matching Gibson’s?

My friend has an Echo Park, he loves it. I don’t know the era, but I’m fairly certain it’s Detroit.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                            Too bad. This is what we call authentic authenticity.
                            Authentically authentic authenticity.

Comment

Off-topic here, but since I'm thinking about it... A couple of years ago, I got to play a 1959 LP Standard, and a 1958 LP Standard. What amazed me, was how light they were! I don't think either one of them weighed more than 8 lbs. The owned explained why this was the case... Wood from the top of the tree is lighter than the bottom. I believe one of his guitars was an Echopark. It looked like a funky shaped Telecaster type thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X