NUGD - Maroon Semi-Hollow (for a pal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NUGD - Maroon Semi-Hollow (for a pal)

One of my longtime jazzer friends has been jonesing for a semi-hollow to gig with at the seedier places and outdoor shows he plays. I can understand Ed not wanting to take his ES-275 or Montgomery L-5 to places like that. He likes my Ibanez AS-73 loaded with Antiquities, and he has a set of 59's laying around doing nothing so things proceeded from there. It arrived about 4PM and by 5:30 I had it unboxed, restrung with a fresh pack of D'Addario strings, and laid my setup mojo down. It plays like butter and looks great. Ed can install the 59's later after he's "broken it in", so to speak.
    Nice axe, huh?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3516.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	5852814

Name:	SAM_3517.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	5852815

Name:	SAM_3519.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	5852816

By the way, kudos to whoever built this forum. It is the absolute easiest way to post pix off the old Dell.
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 09-19-2019, 11:20 PM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: NUGD - Maroon Semi-Hollow (for a pal)

He played it for about an hour - pop, jazz, rock. Finally said, "It knows all those songs really well. The only wrong notes were the ones I played. I like it - I could gig with this tomorrow".

Name:	SAM_3522.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	5817063

Comment

Far out the sound holes on that thing look comically large. Still i bet it sounds nice.

Comment

I have an as73g in mint blue that I just got. A heck of a guitar that really only needs a nut adjustment and pickups to be really nice.

I did the nut lower, string it with 9s, and just sropped a set of tonerider rebel 90s in it.

HUGE difference. The rebel 90s (or phat cats) are a great fit for these puppies.

How did you/does your buddy like the controls on the guitar? I love the linear taper volume pots. This guitar is the first time I noticed how much I liked the taper of the volume pots.

It turns out there is no taper because they are linear.
        It needs a treble bleed on at least the neck pickup though.

Congrats on the guitar BTW. That looks like a 2019? Is the fretboard rosewood? Looks light.

Comment

It's fairly new, I didn't look up the serial number to be sure.
          Ed has a gig at a supper club tonight - hope to get a report.

Comment

Working...
          X