Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74mm stud spacing for stop tailpiece ??? - Revisited

Hi all.

This is a hopeful continuation of a thread started by redbullnshimano about a year and a half ago - 74mm stud spacing for stop tailpiece ???)

Newbie living in Japan. Hi!

I have a Aria Pro2 (PE 60 - 1984) which I dutifully saved from the trash. It is relatively sound, but missing a number of parts.
    I had planned on resurrecting the same using a combination of parts I have, in addition to buying what I needed.
    However, to my surprise, I found that the tailpiece is the same pitch (stud spacing) as the bridge - around 74mm, not the expected 82mm.
    Despite scouring the net and a few shops that I know of, it seems that such narrowly spaced tailpieces are no longer made, nor readily available on the secondhand market.
    I bought a wraparound tailpiece which I thought I could step in 4mm on either side, thereby allowing me to use the original mounts.
    However, if I do that, the central part of the tailpiece will also need to be filed to allow the heads to fit. So much for the chrome finish.

I'm thinking that the bridge which Dave Locher's suggested in the previous post, sans the trapeze (https://www.guitarfetish.com/Classic...ece_p_167.html) might be the best bet.

I write because I'm not really sure how I should proceed, and I'm also curious as to what redbullnshimano actually did.
    I have a basic workshop, but no access to metal machining equipment.
    If this seems a bit disjointed, apologies. Been a long day. Might be better to view the original thread.

Thanks.

Re: 74mm stud spacing for stop tailpiece ??? - Revisited

Do you have a drill press or know someone with one? It would take about one minute to drill holes where you need them but not with a hand drill. A drill press and a vice to hold the part firmly are the keys to nice straight holes right where you want them.

Another option is to make one from a piece of aluminum bar. Aluminum is really easy to work with and can be polished. Again, a drill press and vice are key. Once the string holes and stud holes are cut the rest (shaping & polishing, if desired) can be done by hand.

Try filing the tailpiece you already have. Zinc can be polished almost as well as aluminum - I filed down the edge of a chrome-plated bridge on one of my guitars and just buffed the zinc when done. It blends pretty well with the chrome plating on the bridge.

Good luck either way!

Comment

I'm thinking a Trapeze tailpiece could be in your future

Or maybe just slap a bigsby copy on

Or as Bri said
      Punch in new ones
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        Do you have a drill press or know someone with one? It would take about one minute to drill holes where you need them but not with a hand drill. A drill press and a vice to hold the part firmly are the keys to nice straight holes right where you want them.

Another option is to make one from a piece of aluminum bar. Aluminum is really easy to work with and can be polished. Again, a drill press and vice are key. Once the string holes and stud holes are cut the rest (shaping & polishing, if desired) can be done by hand.

Try filing the tailpiece you already have. Zinc can be polished almost as well as aluminum - I filed down the edge of a chrome-plated bridge on one of my guitars and just buffed the zinc when done. It blends pretty well with the chrome plating on the bridge.

Good luck either way!
        Thanks Dave. Sadly, I don"t have a drill press, but I do have a file.
        I am currently trying to find any friends/acquaintances/colleagues/associates that may have a drill press.
        I may need to start being creative.
        I'll post what I've done, and how successful it was.

Cheers and thanks
        Simon

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          I'm thinking a Trapeze tailpiece could be in your future

Or maybe just slap a bigsby copy on

Or as Bri said
          Punch in new ones
          Thanks for the advice. I"ll probably try and modify the tailpiece I have, if I can procure a drill press.
          I like the look of the Trapeze tailpiece, which is cheap at $9.
          Probably another $20 or so to send here though...
          I"ll see how things pan out with my inspired drilling, filing and buffing.

Thanks again,
          Simon

Comment

Well - it aint pretty, but it is functional.
            I successfully borrowed a drill press, a 7.5mm drill and a dose of inspiration. I drilled in 4mm towards the center on each side of the tail piece, on the flat section - right to the edge almost - filed off a few pointy bits, and the mounting studs (screws) just slid into place, and fitted into the original mounting points. I managed to avoid the convex center section between the two mounting holes, which would have been a bit of a pain if I had had to countersink into them to accomodate the mounting screws. This enabled me to keep the integrity of the guitar should I ever find an original QH tailpiece and wish to return the guitar to stock. Undoubtedly more questions coming soon. The guitar is an Aria Pro2 PE 60, one of the many based on the Les Paul...
            Thanks for the sagely advice of those that responded.
            Cheers,
            Simon

Comment

Wait, this is a Les Paul copy? Bigsby!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                Wait, this is a Les Paul copy? Bigsby!
                Thanks for your worthy suggestion, but actually, this is where the plot thickens.

The guitar - minus tuners, nut, bridge, tailpiece, knobs, and covered in thick matt black paint, scorpion stickers and pink nail polish - was "saved" from the garbage. Upon removing some paint from the head I ascertained that it was a 1984 Aria Pro PE-60 (same as this - not my guitar though - https://yamauchi63133.wixsite.com/hi...pe-60-w-1984-e).

In a random moment of inspiration, I thought, hey - wouldn't it be great if I could get this guitar working again for less than $20.

Long story short - I spent about $15 on parts, including a no-brand bridge and tailpiece - and began resurrecting the guitar. Almost there.
                If it turns out to make pleasant noises, I may consider going the Bigsby road.

Never been one to throughout a perfectly good guitar.

Thanks.

Simon

Comment

Love that headstock shape.
                  I totally get the low/no buck thing! I played a hollowbody my dad picked up at a yard sale for $3 for a year or two. Onstage. Put a $10 bridge on it and a used $20 Gibson humbucker and rocked out.
                  Did you refinish it? A five buck can of spray paint can do wonders...

Comment

Thanks for the idea.
                    Currently best described as "the relic look".
                    If it sounds half decent, a spray can might be in order.
                    I like a lot of the late 70s, early 80s Japanese guitars,
                    so I'm hopeful.
                    Also, you were correct - a drill press and a vice did wonders for the tailpiece mod!
                    Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X