Better Super Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Super Switch?

I keep wearing out Super Switches in my Telecaster . -Thats a Fender 5 way with 24 contacts for those that don't know that terminology.

I switch pickups a lot on stage and during songs, and it seems every year the super switch action gets loose and also sticks in between positions.

I generally use the Fender branded OEM super switch which is made by Alpha or CTS I believe -which of course is quality stuff -but it doesn't seem to be made well enough for my heavy in song usage.

So, Luthiers and home hacks with experience on this -What's the premium super switch on the market? Something tight with clear detents to stop on the position consistently?
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 10-04-2019, 06:36 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Re: Better Super Switch?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      I keep wearing out Super Switches in my Telecaster . -Thats a Fender 5 way for those that don't know that terminology.

I switch pickups a lot on stage and during songs, and it seems every year the super switch action gets loose and also sticks in between positions.

I general use the Fender branded OEM super switch which is made by Alpha or CTS I believe -which of course is quality stuff -but it doesn't seem to be made well enough for my heavy in song usage.

So, Luthiers and home hacks with experience on this -What's the premium super switch on the market? Something tight with clear detents to stop on the position consistently?
      Are you looking for a super switch (24 contacts) or a typical 5-way blade (8 contacts)? If you're currently using a CRL or Oak Grigsby, I'm not aware of a "better" switch. Just about anything is better than those import box switches.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        Are you looking for a super switch (24 contacts) or a typical 5-way blade (8 contacts)? If you're currently using a CRL or Oak Grigsby, I'm not aware of a "better" switch. Just about anything is better than those import box switches.
        I use an Oak Gigsby, and I switch a dozen times in a song, sometimes. They really do hold up- I haven't had to replace one yet. You have to pay more at the beginning, though, but it is worth it. I am talking about the 24 pole version.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Guess I'll give the OG a try, will report back.

and yes the 24 contact version.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Ibanez makes one for the JEM

Its laid out different
            But 4 pole
            5 contact and one common for each

I dont have the part number handy

But I have the Oaks in my RG2 and have had no trouble
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

That's the right switch but that price is criminal. Add ScrewYouMac's $10 minimum shipping and you'd pay $33 for a switch that can be bought for $10.

Mojotone 5-way Super Switch

Oak Grigsby Super Switch Mojotone

Not sure why anyone would buy parts from StewMac when they can consistently be bought for a fraction of their price everywhere else.
              Last edited by Tone Meister; 10-05-2019, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
                That's the right switch but that price is criminal. Add ScrewYouMac's $10 minimum shipping and you'd pay $33 for a switch that can be bought for $10.

Mojotone 5-way Super Switch

Oak Grigsby Super Switch Mojotone

Not sure why anyone would buy parts from StewMac when they can consistently be bought for a fraction of their price everywhere else.
                Yeah, I just did a google search so he could see the oak grigsby switch. I always shop around for a better price than SM.

Comment

Working...
                X