Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fret board finger marks

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    That is a good point. Balsa is classified as a hardwood, in case you're interested.
    ha. good point. love that.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I would oil it and let the oil soak in for a bit
      The dents might just lift out

It's not like you've been chipping at it

Oh and trim your fingernails
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If it doesn’t affect playability I would just move on and play it. Don’t worry about what you can’t undo.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          I would oil it and let the oil soak in for a bit
          The dents might just lift out

It's not like you've been chipping at it

Oh and trim your fingernails
          Lemon oil?? And trim nails "good advice" And Thanks for all the good advice from you all, I much appreciate it
          "I can't play the blues if Im sad"

Comment

Any oil isn't going to raise the grain. Water might, but usually only if the wood has been compressed like a dent from being bumped, but if water actually helps it will be irregular and will need to be sanded after...which really opens another can of worms for a fretboard with the frets still in place.

Unless you're prepared to remove the frets, sand down the fretboard, replace the frets, do a fret level and crown and polish job, just leave it as is.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              You DO NOT fill scratches in a fretboard, simply sand to remove the scratches (several grits), and polish. You DO NOT fill.
              I have to totally agree with the goober. Filler is the worst idea for many reasons, including:
              Fillers are generally opaque and under the best of workmanship will leave it looking horrendous;
              Fillers are usually not as hard as wood and will wear down very quickly in this situation;
              Way too much work to end up with an even surface with the frets in place;
              Without proper preparation, the filler would probably just chip out anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                Also, as someone else pointed out on here and linked an interesting article, being a "hardwood" has little to do with being harder to the touch or resistive to wear -many softwoods are much harder than many hardwoods. It had to do more with the growth rate and internal structure of the wood to classify it for industrial application -rather than the actual hardness.
                Hardwood also means a broad leaf tree that loses its leaves seasonally, as opposed to a conifer (pine).
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Any oil isn't going to raise the grain. Water might, but usually only if the wood has been compressed like a dent from being bumped, but if water actually helps it will be irregular and will need to be sanded after...which really opens another can of worms for a fretboard with the frets still in place.

Unless you're prepared to remove the frets, sand down the fretboard, replace the frets, do a fret level and crown and polish job, just leave it as is.
                  I disagree
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Hardwood also means a broad leaf tree that loses its leaves seasonally, as opposed to a conifer (pine).
                    The distinction is actually a flowering plant vs conifer.

There are as many species (if not more) of evergreen hardwood trees as there are deciduous.

Comment

You are certainly free to disagree if you like. But if I'm wrong, there are a whole lot of guitar players who use fingerboard oil (like lemon oil, etc) who are in a really big heap of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X