Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar Silvertone by Samick Juiptar reissue,

Review.

Silvertone spent decades maligned as the ugly duckling on the electric guitar and amplifier pond. Because Silvertones were relatively affordable instruments sold by Sears, Roebuck & Company from the 1930s through the early ’70s, they were viewed as stepping-stones to the Fender, Gretsch, Gibson, or Rickenbacker you’d get when you got serious. But since the ’90s, many vintage Silvertone guitars and amps (typically those built by Harmony and Danelectro) have gained the respect and collector attention they always deserved.

With all this renewed interest, Samick revived the Silvertone name. And in a few years, they’ve started to revisit some of the Silvertone brand’s most loved designs. One of the most interesting original offerings, the 1423 (also branded as the Harmony Jupiter H49), was made from 1959 through 1962 and it’s the inspiration for the guitar.

Tuxedo Junction
    The designers behind the original twin-pickup 1423 likely used Gibson’s Les Paul Jr. as a point of departure. And at a glance, the new 1423 looks like a straightforward reissue. It’s got the same single-cutaway body as the original with a sharp-looking black sparkle finish and white binding with a fine black pinstripe. A white, foxtail-shaped pickguard is home to five black knobs and a chicken-head selector switch. The rosewood fretboard is dressed with classy block inlays and the classic, slight, and snaky Silvertone script logo adorns the headstock.

However, there are a number of differences—both cosmetic and structural—between the 1423 and its predecessor. Most significantly, this version is a mahogany solidbody with a four-screw, bolt-on neck, where the original was a semi-hollow with a three-screw neck. The original included a rosewood archtop-style bridge, but the new version has a Tune-o-matic-style bridge (with a retainer wire) that provides better adjustability and intonation.

Less significant details include a white plastic nut in place of an aluminum nut. Closed-back tuners with chrome knobs replace the old open-geared machines with white plastic buttons. And this version has a pair of chrome strap buttons instead of a single white endpin, so you wont have to tie your strap off at the headstock. Also, the trapeze tailpiece on the reissue uses a slightly different design—a raised diamond for embellishment instead of three horizontal lines.

Overall, our 1423 is a solidly built guitar. The neck fits snug in its pocket and the finish is free of defects.

Being semi-hollow, examples of the original 1423 fall in the vicinity of five pounds, but our reissue is more substantial at seven pounds, 14 ounces. It’s still very comfortable to hold and feels compact and well balanced. The neck has a very comfortable C shape profile is a nice compromise, neither too thin nor too cumbersome. Gibson players in particular will feel very much at home with it, particularly given the 1 11/16" wide nut and 24.75" scale length. Despite the less-than-ideal setup, the guitar plays very well—a definite improvement over a typical, well-used vintage Silvertone.

The controls on the 1423 include volume and tone for each pickup, a 3-way selector switch, and, for the middle position only, an almost Rickenbacker-like blend knob that rolls off the highs and boosts the mids. The knobs fall in a straight line—blend, volume, tone, volume, tone.

Clone of the orginal darmond pickups a limited run. A thin mahogany solid body. Sparkley finnish. A nice silvertone Samick made gig bag. I love samick guitars. All the models.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wjarsfg7tscnmmrcmr1w.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	5852914

Name:	qpfxiy5dsjdv7dokvts2.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	5852915

Name:	p-28727-SILVERTONE-JUPITER-STRAT-O-TONE-1423-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-SOUTH-COAST-MUSIC-3.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	5852916

Re: New guitar Silvertone by Samick Juiptar reissue,

I love my new guitar.

Comment

Very cool guitar… But your “review“ sure sounds a lot like a Samick commercial instead of a guy who just got a new guitar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by The Commodores?
      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Not my kinda thing, but it looks really cool, and I am happy you are enjoying it!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
          Very cool guitar… But your “review“ sure sounds a lot like a Samick commercial instead of a guy who just got a new guitar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I copied the review from a web site. They could do a proper review better than I could.

Comment

The "ad" makes it sound almost like a decent guitar.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Name:	708C7D0D-0113-4793-A320-BF8914AA3DDE.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	5817244

I friggin’ love my Samick Avion!

Comment

I love many vintage Silvertone amps for sure -Also Standel were great (Same sales strategy)

Silvertone Guitars? never had much love for..... If I see one in a store, I will surely try it out and report back.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  The "ad" makes it sound almost like a decent guitar.
                  It is much better than that. It is a great as any expensive guitar. It just a reissue of a guitar some liked in the 1960's but 100 times better. Some hated Harmony guitars and the fact Sears owned them. And said no thanks to the reissues. So the people that owned the name and got samick to make them went under I think?
                  Last edited by Samick Lover; 10-10-2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I have a Harmony acoustic guitar I bought from Sears in the mid 50s. It still plays and sounds as good today (over 65 years later) as any other acoustic I've owned, and it's still my favorite.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

That looks like a really cool guitar and I'd agree with you (or the company "review"?) that it has the vintage look with many problems solved.

I will say, though, that the original Silvertone electrics (never tried an acoustic) didn't get a bad rep because they were affordable and sold through Sears, they got a bad rep because they were pretty junky guitars! Masonite bodies with dull and rough paint, a chunk of wood for the bridge, no adjustable truss rod in the neck, super cheap tuners, etc.. They have a cool and unique sound and I almost bought one around 1986 because I liked the look and the sound but ultimately I didn't buy it because it just felt junky. I was afraid it would fall apart if I used it much. At that time I had no idea who made it, who sold it, or whether Silvertone was a bargain brand or a respected company name. I just judged it based on what it was in my hands.

On the other hand, I also vaguely remember playing a Samick at a shop around that same time within a couple years and being very impressed by that one. So I'd say you got the Samick quality with the Silvertone look, which seems like a win/win.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                        That looks like a really cool guitar and I'd agree with you (or the company "review"?) that it has the vintage look with many problems solved.

I will say, though, that the original Silvertone electrics (never tried an acoustic) didn't get a bad rep because they were affordable and sold through Sears, they got a bad rep because they were pretty junky guitars! Masonite bodies with dull and rough paint, a chunk of wood for the bridge, no adjustable truss rod in the neck, super cheap tuners, etc.. They have a cool and unique sound and I almost bought one around 1986 because I liked the look and the sound but ultimately I didn't buy it because it just felt junky. I was afraid it would fall apart if I used it much. At that time I had no idea who made it, who sold it, or whether Silvertone was a bargain brand or a respected company name. I just judged it based on what it was in my hands.

On the other hand, I also vaguely remember playing a Samick at a shop around that same time within a couple years and being very impressed by that one. So I'd say you got the Samick quality with the Silvertone look, which seems like a win/win.
                        It had to be new old stock. It had the plastick on the pickups. And the nicest gig bag. Samick makes expensive, medium priced and cheap guitars and in my opinion the nicest guitars. The jupitar is a thin body mahogny body. Sparkly and quality. So I love my new guitar.

Comment

Comment

I love my Torino as well, changed the pickups and its a great guitar
                            sigpic
                            Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                            Dunlop Crybaby
                            MXR Custom Comp
                            GFS Twin Overdrive
                            Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                            Blackstar HT-DISTX
                            Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by Samick Lover View Post

I want that toggle switch. Control layout looks really cool, but not sure how practical

Comment

Working...
                              X