Locking tuners/Broken strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking tuners/Broken strings

I had a set of Sperzels on a Peavey Strat copy for close to 15 years. Took the strings on and off constantly for mods, no issues with breakage.

My PRS S2 has popped two Ds and two high Es, after maybe two or three times of tightening and loosening them. My first thought is a burr on the peg, but there’s about 2mm of string sticking out before the break.

Any ideas?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Locking tuners/Broken strings

I have always had that problem with locking tuners. Whenever I loosen the strings, and then I retighten them, they break. It's been the same with PWs, Grovers, Gotohs. That's why I prefer non-locking Grovers and Gotohs on my guitars right now.

Comment

Hey JB, post a pic of the Post and Holes -I was thinking some metal burrs from when they were casted too, but nor sure if that's not it. What kind of strings?

Also, not surprised that you had no issue with Sperzells, they are still hand made in Cleveland by the same family who invented locking tuners, there quality is better on an average day. They're a mom and pop operation (the kids run it now) and they just didn't have the money to defend their patent internationally -so people like Reverend Guitars just stole their tuner design an had them made over seas and cancelled their OEM contract with Sperzells.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Probably a burr on the hole or the pin.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

The first set was D’Addario XT 10-46. They broke the first time I tuned them back up after a pickup swap. The second set is regular SIT (Power Wound?) 11-50. They broke the second or third time I tuned them again.

I’ll get some pics. I’ve had plenty of strings break from slackening/tuning them too many times, but it seems odd they seem to be breaking beyond the post.

Also, the XTs were on for maybe 3 days before I swapped the pickups. The SITs were on for a little over a week.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I had that problem with some grover locking rotomatics. Just on the high e. Turns out, the way I strung it, and wound it up, at pitch, the string sat at the very edge of the string hole. A small burr, that I couldn't feel, was the culprit. A needle file fixed it just fine. Just soften the edges around the hole. Works like a charm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll give that a shot. Like you described, it doesn’t feel like there are any burrs. I did leave a little slack in the two strings I replaced this time.

Comment

Never had a problem with Schallers, Sperzels or Gotoh locking tuners. I've seen people really twist super hard on the lock, and I'd believe that could cause it.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Never had a problem with Schallers, Sperzels or Gotoh locking tuners. I've seen people really twist super hard on the lock, and I'd believe that could cause it.
                  I could see that putting a flat spot on a plain string and creating a weak point
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I like the Sperzels and the Schecter.
                    I do not like so much the ones that need a coin to lock them (Grover).
                    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
                      I like the Sperzels and the Schecter.
                      I do not like so much the ones that need a coin to lock them (Grover).
                      Grover makes a set with the thumb wheel on the back as well. They are very nice tuners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have some GOTOH and Grover top locking tuners
                        They work just fine
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          Probably a burr on the hole or the pin.
                          You need to read his post..."2mm of string sticking out before the break"!

NOT a bur in the hole.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's hard to imagine the strings constantly breaking where you say they are breaking...2mm beyond the hole. At that point it is just a smooth straight pull on ANY tuner. Can't be a bur at the hole if it's breaking beyond the hole.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Maybe it is the hole and the 2mm is just stretching? Beyond the lock point, there is no tension or force on that part of the string, right?
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X