StewMac dropping the ball... AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StewMac dropping the ball... AGAIN

Anyone else having trouble with StewMac getting orders correct? Last Friday I ordered close to $300 worth of tools and supplies. The box showed up Monday. However, it was short a tool - and some of the supplies were broken. No problem, called on Tuesday - they said they'd take care of it for free. Package shows up today, and guess what? Still short the tool, and the supplies were broken AGAIN. Also, one of the items in the first order was their truss rod repair tool kit, and I just noticed they sent me the wrong size! Now I have to call again on Monday. WTH, PEOPLE?

Are the new owners hiring drunks and addicts to be pickers in the warehouse?
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 10-11-2019, 05:39 PM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: StewMac dropping the ball... AGAIN

They're on drugs!
    Last edited by Clint 55; 10-11-2019, 09:08 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

It's not their fault stupidity is a disease like drug addiction
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have been using StewMac for many years (50-100 orders per year) with orders easily totalling over $10,000. I have never had them send a broken supply and they have never shorted me a tool. In fact, there has never been anything wrong with any of my orders.

If I ever made a mistake with my order, or if I ever misused or didn't like a product, they always made it right!! They have always given helpful (and accurate) information/advice when asked.

They are usually very expensive, but you can always count on their products being the best quality available.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Must admit, this is the first time I've had a problem with them, and I've been ordering since the late 70's/early 80's from them. However, the chat among many luthiers says there IS a problem, and it's not going away like it should.

Comment

I always thought they were generally expensive too, with higher shipping. But sometimes they have things no one else has.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They are increasingly expensive, and their shipping & handling seems to be extravagant. I turn more and more these days to Squeebay and Treeverb for luthiery tools and supplies.

Comment

StewMac dropping the ball... AGAIN

SM does have an option where you can pay a yearly fee, then get free shipping.
                For me, it isn’t worth the fee because I seldom order from there. But for a shop that orders often, such as what Goober may need it might be worth it.

Comment

Before I could even have breakfast I got an email from StewMac this morning with an apology, and a promise to send the right stuff in the mail today. I still might call just to raise hell, as this kind of poor performance is not acceptable. I understand a mistake now and then, but 3 mistakes in a row on the same order? To me it signals a serious problem in Athens, Ohio that should be addressed and dealt with it pronto.

Comment

Saturday, the 19th - This morning I got all my tools and all my supplies (unbroken) in a box instead of a bubble envelope. That is 2 weeks, 3 mailings, and a whole bunch of cellphone minutes for one order. Unacceptable, and pathetic performance from StewMac.

Comment

I've probably ordered 50 times from Stew Mac -but most before the last year -I've never had any shipping issues like missing or wrong items that I can recall.. I did have a part that was faulty, and they overnighting me a replacement no problem -I called them, discussed and they handled it.

When did the new owners take over?
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I was shipped an order short of a truss rod a month or so ago; I emailed to mention it, and had the replacement in two days. No muss, no fuss.

Any company can screw up (don't get me started on the great big conglomerate named after a river...) but Stew-Mac is far better than most I've dealt with, and certainly much easier to get resolutions from.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                          Any company can screw up (don't get me started on the great big conglomerate named after a river...) but Stew-Mac is far better than most I've dealt with, and certainly much easier to get resolutions from.

Larry
                          My experience agrees with this.

It's not that you made a mistake, it's mostly how you react to them and make them right.

That said, a pro luthier is going to order 100x more than I do -and experience many more issues just on odds alone and the mistakes are probably the orders you remember more than the perfect ones.
                          Last edited by NegativeEase; 10-20-2019, 08:41 AM.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                          X