Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N(HM)GD

New (Heavily Modded) Guitar Day.

Actually I've playing it for a few weeks, but finally got the wiring sorted out with my tech, since it's a 10-position blade Freeway Switch.

It's a 1999 Jackson DK2 in transparent amber, poplar body, maple 24 jumbo fret bolt-on neck with rosewood board.

Did a complete overhaul of hardware, to gold, and electronics. It now has a Full Shred trembucker, Vintage Rails middle and Cool Rails neck, one volume moved to the tone pot position, and the original volume is now just a push/pull pot to do series/parallel wiring on the CR.

Hardware is all Schaller: Lockmeister bridge and M6 tuners with pearloid buttons, and the new S-Locks for strap security.

A 20-year old guitar bought second hand for € 200 in mint condition, plays and sounds awesome, and is now a complete homage to the 80's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_210326.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5852958

Name:	20191015_210335.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	5852959

Name:	20191015_210358.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	5852960

Name:	20191015_210409.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	5852961

Name:	20191015_210454.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	5852962

Name:	20191015_210516.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	5852963
    Last edited by Synapsys; 10-16-2019, 11:33 AM.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Re: N(HM)GD

looks great! so the normal volume knob does nothing other than the pp for the cr?

Comment

What are the 10 positions? Sweet axe btw!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
      "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        looks great! so the normal volume knob does nothing other than the pp for the cr?
        Yep, I get tired of hitting the volume knob while playing, and I never use to tone knob anyway, so I wired for the most convenience for tne way I play.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
          What are the 10 positions? Sweet axe btw!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
          With the switch down, it does the standard five way wiring on an HSS (B, B+M, M, M+N, N, position 2 and 4 wire the pickups parallel to each other).

With the switch up, it does the "special" five way wiring on an HSS (B+M+N in series, B+M+N in parallel, B+N in series, B+N in parallel, M+N in series). Since all pickups are on the trebly side of thing, all three wired in series gives a thick but very usable sound, not muddy at all, even under high gain.

Comment

Great find, congrats! Were the M6 tuners a drop-in replacement for the Jackson branded ones? I'm planning to swap a set on one of Jacksons and I'd like to find a set that requires no drilling... Also, what was the original bridge JT580LP? Did you need any woodwork on the cavity or was it a direct fit?
            Last edited by nexion218; 10-15-2019, 11:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask sg

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
              Great find, congrats! Were the M6 tuners a drop-in replacement for the Jackson branded ones? I'm planning to swap a set on one of Jacksons and I'd like to find a set that requires no drilling... Also, what was the original bridge JT580LP? Did you need any woodwork on the cavity or was it a direct fit?
              Yep, they were a drop-in replacement, and the Lockmeister fit where the JT580LP previously was installed with no fuss. My tech just had to open the holes for the new posts, which are very slightly larger.

Comment

I didn't know Dinkys were available in flame top in those days. Most were in plain or metallic.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                  Yep, they were a drop-in replacement, and the Lockmeister fit where the JT580LP previously was installed with no fuss. My tech just had to open the holes for the new posts, which are very slightly larger.
                  That's great news, thanks for the info! And the string aligment along the neck is fine, right? Just asking because from the pictures it looks like the lockmesiter is not not perfectly centered in the original cavity...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                    That's great news, thanks for the info! And the string aligment along the neck is fine, right? Just asking because from the pictures it looks like the lockmesiter is not not perfectly centered in the original cavity...
                    String alignment is perfect, absolutely no fretting out anywhere on the neck. The Lockmeister seems out of alignment just because the design of the JT580LP's baseplate is slightly different.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                      I didn't know Dinkys were available in flame top in those days. Most were in plain or metallic.

Spot on! It's indeed a 1999 model, typing on the phone leads to this kind of mistakes. Still, not in bad shape for a 20 y.o. model...

Thanks for noticing it!

Comment

I thought so. Is it USA or Japanese?

The naming convention with initials also didn't exist back then. And the only Dinky I can recall was Dinky reverse in stone finish, 2 humbuckers, MIJ. Yours resemble a Soloist more than a Dinky.

Comment

Japanese. But by 1996 the initials model reference was already common.

The aesthetics may be Soloist-like, and my upgrades may even get it closer to that line, but all the specs are of a Dinky.

Comment

Working...
                          X