Couldn’t live without a Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn’t live without a Strat

It took 6 months after getting rid of my Strat to realize I’m not happy without one.

In the final death throes of my 2019 Gear Binge & Purge, I traded the SE Tremonti for a pretty slick 2006 MIM Fat Strat. It’s black, rosewood board, stock everything. Have a zebra Custom 5 (plus an A2 mag) on the way to drop in it.

I liked the Tremonti a lot, but I never end up bonding with guitars with finished necks. That one was in almost pristine condition, and I couldn’t bring myself to strip it. After giving the black Strat some TLC, SIT 11-50 strings, and a quick setup, I plugged it into my upstairs amp (Spider IV 15), and realized I made the right choice.

My S2 and SE Custom 24 aren’t going anywhere, but I feel better with some Fendery goodness back in my life. However, after years of Texas Specials, those ceramic stock singles are horrendous. Considering I’ll probably convert the C5 to a CC, what should I use for the neck & middle? I loved the Texas Specials, but wouldn’t mind something different, and I’d like to go SD.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Couldn’t live without a Strat

Tres Hombres

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	5817363
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I realize that I have to have some sort of Strat-derivative for me to be happy. That is my safe space, and what I always go back to, even if I have to alter the design a bit.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I realize that I have to have some sort of Strat-derivative for me to be happy. That is my safe space, and what I always go back to, even if I have to alter the design a bit.
        Same. Just something you can plug in and go for it.

Name:	guitmod.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	5817364

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          If you notice, even when I stray from a Strat, it’s not that far. The PRS guitar’s feel totally different, and I don’t tend to want to hit them as hard as a Fender, but even though they’re set necks with dual humbuckers, ergonomically they don’t feel worlds apart.

Paul’s bridge is way better, though. The first thing I noticed after the Strat was playable was how pokey the saddles felt. Definitely gonna get some of those graduated height hex screws. The open G sounds kind of plinky, also, so I think it’s gonna get a second string-tree.

Comment

Starts are not my safe space; for fifteen years or so I played just about everything but a Strat- Gibsons, Jazzmasters, Telecasters, Mustangs, etc. Coming from that, the ergonomics of a Strat felt just weird (in particular how close the bridge is to the strap button- easily seen on the pics above vs. the other guitars- and how close the strings are to the body.)

I’m about five Strats in (have three at the moment and one needs to go still.) Have to say I’ve gotten used to it now and don’t feel a huge learning curve each time I pick one up; in fact dealing with the Strat probably made me a better player overall. Jazzmasters will always feel like ‘home’ as far as everything being where it needs to be (strap buttons, bridge height, body contouring/length etc.) but my gold sparkle Strat is pretty much my ‘any time/any sound/pick up and go’ guitar now.

Last edited by Silence Kid; 10-23-2019, 10:07 PM.
            Originally posted by King Buzzo
            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

^ that gold sparkle is awesome.

Comment

Right on. I agree. I have had at least one Strat since the first moment I owned an electric guitar nearly 30 years ago. '85 MIJ '50s style (still have it).
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                  Starts are not my safe space; for fifteen years or so I played just about everything but a Strat- Gibsons, Jazzmasters, Telecasters, Mustangs, etc. Coming from that, the ergonomics of a Strat felt just weird (in particular how close the bridge is to the strap button- easily seen on the pics above vs. the other guitars- and how close the strings are to the body.)

I’m about five Strats in (have three at the moment and one needs to go still.) Have to say I’ve gotten used to it now and don’t feel a huge learning curve each time I pick one up; in fact dealing with the Strat probably made me a better player overall. Jazzmasters will always feel like ‘home’ as far as everything being where it needs to be (strap buttons, bridge height, body contouring/length etc.) but my gold sparkle Strat is pretty much my ‘any time/any sound/pick up and go’ guitar now.

I’ve always been more of a Gibson guy but that strat is just WOW!! I love it.

Comment

For me, my 'home' is the LP. everything about it just works for me.

Comment

im a fendery guy so i have never been without a strat, ive been without anything but stratty guitars for years at a time.

is the zebra white/black or normal cream/black?

Comment

I've always had a Strat type guitar for as long as I can remember. There were a couple years before my Frankenstrat where I didn't and all I had was a Jackson Dinky copy, a Pro Player or Series 10 thing, can't remember exactly. But since 1993, I've had a Strat of some sort. They are home to me, but I don't get along with the single-coils so it's humbuckers for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                          is the zebra white/black or normal cream/black?
                          Pretty sure it’s cream/black. The pickguard has yellowed a bit, so I think it’ll look good.

Just for fun, I found Dan Erlewine’s measurements from #1, and decided to copy it. 5/64” on the high E, 7/64” on the low, .012” relief. I’ve never really bothered measuring before, and just go by feel, but damn.... turns out I have been setting my high E really close to that, but the low E...

Name:	B01C9622-E2FF-4353-AB9F-E8B07A04F7EB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	5817371

Comment

well, wont have to switch guitars for slide

Comment

If this is high action, I’d call my normal by-feel setup a solid medium on the bass side, medium-high on the treble. Haven’t plugged it in, but it sounds incredible acoustically. Iron Man could use a hub cap for a pick and not have any fret buzz.

I’m at work, but had a slide in the gig bag, and yeah, you can dig in hard. Stevie used 13,15,19,28,38,58, so my 11-50 is actually pretty close for the middle 4 strings. Might swap in a 13 and 58 for fun and start taking this one out to scare people

Tuned down 1/2 step, it’s not nearly as hard to play as it looks. Still easier for me than 9s set really low.

Comment

Working...
                              X