MIM Strat weight reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIM Strat weight reduction

It's NOT going to weaken anything. At all.

JB, go for it. Sounds like you've got a fun project ahead of you. Purple will look great. Keep us up to date on the progress of this project (with pics...lots of pics).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I’m terrible about remembering to take pics. Here’s the current state:

Click image for larger version

Name:	175E176D-62D6-4C2F-8A4D-DB94B11D483E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	5817411
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I would sand the wings down to make the body thinner to the edges
        Think Ibanez S series

Do the back side
        The PRS is thinner all over
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yes, thinner. More comfortable and lighter.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

My worst sounding strats have been swimming pool, my best either HSH or SSS. It must have more to do with the wood itself than the routing.

Strats are heavy from all the metal they need for the bridge. I like the thicker steel blocks, but that’s more weight. I like locking tuners, but that’s more weight. It’s funny, you start assembling a Strat and think “this body is pretty light” and by the end it’s “man, it’s heavier than I thought I would be.”
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Name:	295EA147-1316-4F68-B294-1177282B5610.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	5817414
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

There ya go

Score it round the bottom so it will have a line to break out to
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I can understand wanting to weight relieve a Strat, as they can get quite heavy (they usually have at least a pound on them in hardware weight alone). But a swimming pool rout won't do much.

Lightweight tuners and an aluminum vibrato block are the fastest and easiest ways to get some bolt-on weight reduction.

There isn't a lot of meat that you can carve out of a Strat. There are too many things in the way: vibrato cavity, belly cut, forearm contour, a relatively complex and spread out control/pickup cavity. And you can't just plane a quarter inch off the back like you can on a Tele for an approx. 1/7th weight reduction.

If it comes to carving, your best bet is to rout/drill/saw some circle plugs out of the lower horn area under the guard. But even then, you're not talking about a ton of weight removal.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Done “routing.”

Gonna throw it back together for now so it’s playable to try the new bridge pickup when I get home. When I go to do whatever refinish I decide on, I’ll use my Dremel to clean up the cavity.

In hindsight, in addition to more pictures, I should’ve weighed it beforehand.

Comment

Having second thoughts on staining it... might just do a bunch of tung oil.

Name:	9D5341A6-163E-44FD-9D50-F929E582608F.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	5817416

Name:	2AB67A66-3246-4D17-B378-FAA638AA6A68.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	5817417

Before:

Name:	8B5A62FF-8BDE-4772-8F9A-0799401FF128.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	5817418

Comment

The bare wood color makes me think it'd look really good in Shoreline Gold, like my AV '65.

Name:	pwvdp9sopulnxtmf9cm6-2.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	5817419
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

That does look nice.

I’m gonna play it as is for awhile, and see what jumps out at me when I’m not obsessing over it.

Comment

I've used a chisel to surprisingly easily change a single coil route to a humbucker, and it worked out great. Whole heartedly approve of your screwdriver approach. :P
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

No chisels at work, but I did sharpen the screwdriver first

Comment

Did you sand the paint off, or use a heat gun?
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X