Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Softest electric guitar strings

Hi all,
    I always used D'Addario XL nickelwound strings on my guitar, 010 o 09 gauge. Recently I installed a set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky 09-46, and...wow! I always found tricky to control my bendings, but now it's all super easy! These strings are super-soft and my bendings now are more controllable.

According to your experience, what are the softest string sets on the market? At the same gauge, obviously! GHS? Rotosound? Elixir?
    What other brands could I consider, apart from Ernie Ball?

Thanks a lot

Re: Softest electric guitar strings

I couldn't answer that question until I tried every set of guitar strings on the market, could I?
    Kinda pricey and time consuming if you ask me.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      I couldn't answer that question until I tried every set of guitar strings on the market, could I?
      Kinda pricey and time consuming if you ask me.
      He said “in your experience,” so as long as you’re claiming “the softest that I’ve tried are ___,” then no, I don’t think you have to have tried them all.

So, in my experience, SIT tends to be on the stiffer side. I haven’t used Slinkies in a long time, and the last GHS Boomer set I used died really quickly, so that’s what stuck in my head about them. D’Addario always seems to be what I end up with, and I’ve never thought they were especially stiff or loose. The NYXL and XT strings feel a little different, but I tend to be using 10s with those right after I was using 11s of another variety, so they always feel super bendy.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Softest electric guitar strings

Optima Gold 9s or Kaman black Teflon coated 8s (no longer made). Requires finesse to play.

Comment

I can't say I remember much difference in that department. I have done the string walkabout a couple of times and I always come back to D'Addario.
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Theres a huge trade off, the softer, more malleable a string is -the less precise the intonation will keep and shorter life of the string.

I suggest learning to get comfortable bending more precise strings that return to tension over a longer life.

Not to mention how much easier EB's are to break during a show.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I’m finding the most recent coated strings (GHS, DR, Optima, Pyramid) tend to offer the best of both worlds: pliable, bendable, return to tension/stable tuning and don’t break like other uncoated strings the same gauge.

Comment

Aside from when I'm setting up or modding a guitar and I'm loosening and tuning the strings repeatedly, I can't remember the last time I broke a string that wasn't due to a burr on a saddle or tuner. Most of the time when I'm noodling, I probably don't go 5 notes without a whole step bend, and go for minor thirds a lot. It's probably been 20 years since I had one randomly break.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'd have to say setup is one of the most important elements......as a semi-irrelevant aside. I find its hard to compare string sets across my guitars as they all seem just different enough not to be able to eliminate other aspects of the feel.

As another aside, I find the spongiest strings to be the most imprecise for bends, as you don't have to put much force outside the ideal to be wildly out.

If you find one full gauge a bit too much either way, there are of course gauges that are inbetween.....a 9.5 set as well as 9 and 10 is available.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Aside from when I'm setting up or modding a guitar and I'm loosening and tuning the strings repeatedly, I can't remember the last time I broke a string that wasn't due to a burr on a saddle or tuner. Most of the time when I'm noodling, I probably don't go 5 notes without a whole step bend, and go for minor thirds a lot. It's probably been 20 years since I had one randomly break.
                    Same here.
                    I play since 10 years, never had a string break. And I'm not that kind of guy who changes strings every 2-3 months. I keep my strings for years...

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    I’m finding the most recent coated strings (GHS, DR, Optima, Pyramid) tend to offer the best of both worlds: pliable, bendable, return to tension/stable tuning and don’t break like other uncoated strings the same gauge.
                    When you say "coated", you mean teflon coated? I read that have pros and cons...

As with everything in life, coated guitar strings have their benefits and their drawbacks. The main benefit of them is they last longer than their uncoated counterparts. This is because they are no longer able to build up the same amount of dirt and grime as quickly and they are resistant to corroding. Since they’re are no longer the little valleys created by the wrap wire, finger noise is reduced to a minimum. This is a big plus for acoustic players that are using very close miking techniques.

So while all this sounds great, the big drawback of coated guitar strings is in the tone department. Coated guitar strings have lower output and reduced sustain—and while this is a bit subjective, many players find their tone to have a plasticky character to it. See, while that tiny barrier of Teflon® on there is great for keeping those strings clean, it’s also limiting how much the string can vibrate, which is ultimately the string’s main job at the end of the day. They’re also going to have a totally different feel to them. Most players report they have a slippery feel which some players enjoy and others abhor, it all comes down to preference.
                    On my Strats, the sustain is very important as I use them to play a lot of Pink Floyd stuff, so a guitar string that neutralizes all the efforts I did with the pedals to improve the sustain, is not a big deal.
                    Last edited by loziodavid; 10-28-2019, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loziodavid View Post
                      Same here.
                      I play since 10 years, never had a string break. And I'm not that kind of guy who changes strings every 2-3 months. I keep my strings for years...

When you say "coated", you mean teflon coated? I read that have pros and cons...

On my Strats, the sustain is very important as I use them to play a lot of Pink Floyd stuff, so a guitar string that neutralizes all the efforts I did with the pedals to improve the sustain, is not a big deal.
                      I don’t know when that was written, but the second paragraph is not true anymore. The GHS’ and DR’s and Optima’s are bright and have plenty of sustain. Things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by loziodavid View Post
                        I've used D'Addario coated mandolin strings, and the new coated XT electric strings. The mandolin ones felt noticeably different, being much smoother with less noise than the regular phosphor bronze. The XT electric strings feel and sound just like NYXL.

Sustain on a Strat = more dirt pedals

Seriously though, sustain on an electric guitar is a weird subject. People obsess over a guitar being able to sustain for 10, 20, 30 seconds or whatever, but who the hell plays anything where that's needed? The only environment I can think of that applying to would be some Hendrixy kind of thing, but you'd have sufficient volume to get any note to feedback indefinitely for that. Even at rational volumes at home, if I run my mini Foot Fuzz into my Soul Food, it's instant controllable feedback.

It was mentioned earler, but make sure you have the right gauge strings for you, and your guitar is setup well for you, and sustain shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

GHS also makes a small-core line that is closer to the slinky core/wrap ratio, which is what mostly dictates the perceived tension. (after setup; tuning/gauges of course)

Comment

I've never noticed between brands if one is softer than another. The feel of coated strings are very different, although the new D'Addario XTs feel more like 'normal' strings than not.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Scale length makes them softer
                              Also flatwounds or ground wound as I use them
                              Are smoother to the touch and are perceived as softer
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X