MIM Satin Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIM Satin Strat

I have a 2004 Fender Standard Stratocaster in Satin Midnight Blue. Does anyone know what years Fender produced the satin finish Strats?

Here is a front/back photo of mine. I call her my Midnight Mistress and she never lets me down. The rosewood fretboard was scalloped for me by Dean Cascione of DC Custom Guitars. DIY mod upgrades that I added are: Seymour Duncan YJM-Fury pickup set, Wilkinson American Strat bridge (wrong size - so modded the body LOL), Graph Tech nut & tree, Fender locking tuners, Fender '70s 'F' style neck plate, and Fender strap blocks with a Fender tweed strap.

Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 10-27-2019, 08:24 PM.

Re: MIM Satin Strat

That's a beautiful finish, and the exact guitar I thought of when I read the post title.

I remember those being available maybe a couple years around 2004. Maybe 2002-2005? Guessing '05 as the end, as '06 was a big change up for MIM Fenders. Regardless, I remember loving that particular finish when they were hanging in the local shop.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

I remember these. That color was my favorite of the series. How has the finish held up? I dig the scalloped frets, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That sounds about right. I remember them being pretty new during the year I worked in MI sales, which was '03-'04.

I also remember them being a bit tricky to KEEP satin. They had a tendency to get polished anywhere they were frequently touched.

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        That's a beautiful finish, and the exact guitar I thought of when I read the post title.

I remember those being available maybe a couple years around 2004. Maybe 2002-2005? Guessing '05 as the end, as '06 was a big change up for MIM Fenders. Regardless, I remember loving that particular finish when they were hanging in the local shop.
        Last edited by St_Genesius; 10-27-2019, 08:22 PM.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Welcome to the forum! I remember these. That color was my favorite of the series. How has the finish held up? I dig the scalloped frets, too.
          Thanks! Yeah the other color I remember in the store was Midnight Wine which also looked nice. I think there was a satin gunmetal gray finish too. I like the Midnight Blue the best. I guess you could call it flat dark indigo blue. The finish on mine has held up really well as you can see in the photos. The only part that doesn't look as flat as the rest is where my forearm rests on the body and buffed it a bit. I've only cleaned it using a slightly damp washcloth. It took my friend Dean a long time to convince me to have the neck scalloped. I wasn't sure how that would feel but since I really like that. I feel like I have a lighter touch and bending strings with vibrato is easier because my finger grips the string better when I push it.
          Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 10-28-2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I remember really wanting one of these models when they came out. I would have it scalloped, too.

Comment

Loved the satin series as well! It was only a handful of years for sure...maybe just go search some old fender frontlines to see?
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I recently saw a Satin Midnight Wine version on Reverb and I almost was going to buy it. That would have been nice also. In any case MIM Strat's make excellent modding platforms for $400.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Mavronis View Post
                  I recently saw a Satin Midnight Wine version on Reverb and I almost was going to buy it. That would have been nice also. In any case MIM Strat's make excellent modding platforms for $400.
                  Agreed. Just got an '06 I've been modding and posting about like crazy.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

No serial number on that guitar? If so then the Fender web page is a good place to find the year it left the factory.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Serial number lockups at Fender, Guitar Insite:

STANDARD STRATOCASTER® SATIN (2003-2006) (2006-2007)
                      Serial #: MZ4234959
                      Brand: Fender
                      Product Category: Guitars

Serial number: MZ4234959
                      Production year: 2004 or 2005
                      Made in Ensenada, Mexico

Being "MZ4" that should mean 2004.

Comment

I wish Warmoth would do satin finishes like that. I have an Ernie Ball with a textured finish, which I like a lot.

Comment

I'm really into the current trend of open grain finishes. My PRS doesn't have any grain filler, and I love how it feels and looks. Nothing wrong with an old glossy finish, but I like a lot of different stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I wish Warmoth would do satin finishes like that. I have an Ernie Ball with a textured finish, which I like a lot.
                            I'm pretty sure they do satin finishes.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                            "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                              I'm pretty sure they do satin finishes.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                              Well, they do, but not like that blue/purple. These Fenders also have a cool, weird texture to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X