My "Sunrazor" Custom Spec SuperStrat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "Sunrazor" Custom Spec SuperStrat

My friend Dean Cascione of DC Custom Guitars built this SuperStrat for me to my own personal specifications. I received it in January 2017. The only DIY mod I made is the Graph Tech string tree. She's such a beauty and we call her Sunrazor. I just want to roll up in the quilts with her! The body is quilted maple ober basswood. The neck is scalloped birdseye maple. The volume knob is the Seymour Duncan YJM High-Speed Pot 500K. The pickups are generic mini rail humbuckers. Someday I'd like to swap them for a pair of Seymour Duncan mini rails I think.

Guitar specs: 25.5" scale DC Custom Guitars USA - YJM Style Scalloped Fretboard - 9.5" radius - Birdseye Maple 1 pc neck shank - Medium c back profile - Dunlop 6000 frets - Reverse Headstock - Hipshot graduated locking tuners - Dual acting truss rod at heel - Real shell abalone inlays - Graph Tech Tusq XL nut - Graph Tech Sleek Tusq XL string tree - 5A Curly Maple top over Basswood DC Custom Guitars body - 4 bolt heel with DC Custom Guitars USA Personalized Neckplate Etching - Rear Charvel style electronics cavity route - SS pickup configuration - Vintage tremolo route - Wilkinson steel block tremolo with offset drilled sustain block for improved intonation and push in tremolo arm - Floyd Rose noiseless tremolo springs - Side input jack - 3 way toggle - 1 volume Seymour Duncan YJM High-Speed Pot - Copper grounding backplane - Aluminum cavity cover - GuitarHeads rail pickups wound to Dean Cascione's specifications - All black hardware - Thin nitrocellulose finish - SIT Power Steel 9-46 strings - Fender tweed guitar case
    Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 10-30-2019, 10:33 AM.

Re: My "Sunrazor" Custom Spec SuperStrat

Very pretty. Graph Tech string tree? I knew that they made nuts and saddles, but not trees.
    And yes, someday you should get some Duncan's in there.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      Very pretty. Graph Tech string tree? I knew that they made nuts and saddles, but not trees.
      Graph Tech Sleek TUSQ String Tree. The build already included their TUSQ XL Nut.

Comment

Locking tuners?

Comment

Locking tuners?
          Yes Hipshot graduated locking tuners.

Comment

I would imagine that it stays in tune even without a locking bridge and nut

Comment

Cool guitar, but I have to ask... why generic pickups?
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

What was the philosophy behind each of these features:

1. Single slot near bridge
                2. Standard Trem
                3. What tuners?
                4. Discuss scalloped and your playing
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Or, just post a quick vid.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Cool guitar, but I have to ask... why generic pickups?
                    They are mini rails by GuitarHeads. The builder and guitarist uses them for his own guitars at the time and I didn't specify other than mini rails. They are pretty much high output. I'm not sure how they compare to SD Hot Rails or something. I would prefer something noiseless but with a classic Strat rock and blues tone probably. I have YJM-Fury's in my other Satin Midnight Blue Strat and like the tone of those. Not sure what the equivalent SD mini rails version of that kind of tone would be closest to.

Comment

JB jr. For the bridge. Or maybe a hot stack.
                      Lil 59 for the neck. Or Vintage stack.
                      But really, play the GFS for a while. You might not want to change anything.

Comment

That guitar needs 2 Furys.

I've always liked his scalloping work. Next guitar I get done is going to him.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          That guitar needs 2 Furys.
                          I added the complete build specs to the original picture post.

He did ask me if I wanted those YJM-Fury pickups since I already had them in my MIM satin Strat, but I was curious about the mini rail pickups and like the look better than pole pieces. I like Dean Cascione's guitar tone on his 2nd self-produced album "Neoclassical Fire" plus he was using the scratch-built gray spec DOD 250 clone (that I made for both of us) for the recording. I pretty much get that same tone although instead of his Marshall YJM100 tube amp I'm only using either my little Blackstar HT-1R combo (Tung-Sol 12AX7) or VHT Special 6 Ultra combo (Tung-Sol 12AX7/EL34B) both with 8"/12" Celestion speakers, respectively.
                          Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 10-30-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I would imagine that it stays in tune even without a locking bridge and nut

I have a Strat with a Floyd Rose that stays in tune without a locking nut, it's well within reason that a 6-point bridge could stay in tune without one either.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

There is nothing superstrat with that guitar: No Floyd, 22 frets, no humbucker, no locking nut, 9.5 inch radius.

And what's a mini rail? I reckon there must be regular-sized rail as well, no?

Comment

Working...
                              X