banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What electric guitar would you buy around $500?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What electric guitar would you buy around $500?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a new electric guitar in the coming months. My budget is going to be around $500, although possibly could spend a little more. I've been making a short list of guitars I would like to demo before I buy. This gave me the idea to ask what guitar people would buy with around the same budget. I just thought it would be interesting to see the opinions of a group of people with a wide range in opinions on what makes a good guitar and also different styles of playing. I read this article https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/...ars-under-500/ but I'm newbie. To make it even more fun try to write down your reasons for selecting the guitar.

Thanks in advance
    [URL="https://www.seymourduncn.com[/URL]

Re: What electric guitar would you buy around $500?

To play what style of music, through what signal chain (pedals, amp, recording, etc.)?

Also, when you say you’re a newbie, is that to electric guitar (I.e. you’ve been playing acoustics for long enough to know how to play), or is that to guitar playing (I.e. this would be your first guitar of any kind)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

At this stage of my playing journey, I would buy the best Telecaster I could for the money. Simple guitar, very little to go wrong and classic tones that cover a lot of ground.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I would buy almost ANY electric guitar for $500 - especially if it lists for more than $500.

Wouldn't you like to pay only $500 for a Gibson Le Grande ($20,000)? Or a real John D'Angelico New Yorker from the 60's? How about any guitar made by Orville Gibson? The Larsen Brothers?

Yeah, I'd take out a large loan if I could buy ANY guitar for $500.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

What electric guitar would you buy around $500?

Something that you can mod with no regrets. A good example is the Squier Vintage Modified series. Go with either Tele HS or HSS. Cost is around $250 used.

Comment

If you feel comfortable making a decision about the overall condition (state of the fretwork , hardware, wood etc) of a guitar or can ask a more knowledgeable buddy to help you out, then I'd definitely consider a used one. You can get better specs and construction quality by going for a used instrument that was in a higher price range when new. Unfortunately even the 1000-1200 USD range can be hit or miss (at least in my experience), but those seem to have quality hardware and pickups and better woods (not aiming at the rabbit hole named tonewoods, but rather thinking properly dried and milled etc woods), despite having setup issues and lacking the finishing touches of the building process. Unpolished frets or bad setup are easily fixable, but subpar starting materials or a badly routed Floyd is not. Not saying that everything in the 500 USD range will be bad and unsalvageable, but the probability is definitely higher in my opinion to get a completely unusable instrument.

Also, as others have said, knowing what style of playing/music it would be used for will greatly facilitate the choosing process.

Comment

I personally have experience and love for the Ibanez Jem Jr and LTD EC-256 guitars. Nothing but love.

Every guitar pictured was $500 or less except the Sterling bass.

The JP was used as was the EC-400 FM. Great guitars can be found for 5 bills or less.

All perform well above the price.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

^^ my first electric was an Ibanez RG. BIG mistake getting a floyd for a first. Makes everything from keeping in tune, to bending to changing strings more challenging.

I would recommend something simple, hardtail or strat type vibrato if you must. Learn a few chords and a few phrases, go to GC or your local guitar shop and play, see what feels best to you in terms of body and neck shape, weight, finish etc. Someone recommended a Tele up above.. great starting point

Comment

I like Ibanez S series guitars....they are light, they play well, and have everything you need from nice cleans to metal like distortions. You might want to invest in some new pickups a pair of Seymour Duncan JBs maybe or whatever kind of music you are interested in. I prefer S series over RG, it's light and sexy.

Ibanez S520 is cheap plus with the new humbuckers you should hit the Ł500 mark!

Also Squires are ok, or Epiphones, even good Tokais are out there.

I recommend you invest in a good cheap clean sounding amp and then using pedals through it. You are not going to get a good distortion from a cheap amp, but with a decent clean you can invest in a pedal that will do everything you want. Alternatively Peavey Vyper is a great starter amp, it models a bunch of different sounds, it's cheap!

Hope this helps you a little!

Comment

That list is pretty great, but it's missing the import Gretschs -they are astounding for the money.

Specifically the Electromatics and Streamliners -both have models in the 350-600.00 range.

I think they are the best value on the market....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-30 09.42.15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	5817456
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-10-30 09.41.49.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	5817457

Prepare to be amazed -especially if you are looking for distinct and breathy guitar tones
                    Last edited by NegativeEase; 10-30-2019, 08:12 AM.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Before you make this decision, spend some time in a guitar store just browsing. Bring a friend who plays better. At this phase in the buying process, research is free (except time), but you will get a million suggestions that only you can narrow down.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's hard to know without knowing what kind of music you want to play, and whether (as someone said earlier) you're a guitar beginner, generally, or just a beginner with electric guitars (and you already know how to play acoustic).

Yamaha, Squier, Ibanez, LTD, Dean, Washburn, Epiphone, Schecter. You'll be able to find good-value guitars in your price range in each. But there is no substitute for getting out there and actually trying different guitars. The most important things to consider IMO are:

- all aspects of the neck (how it feels when you play down low, up high, riffing, chords, single notes, etc., which model gives you hand fatigue? which one feels like butter? etc.)
                        - ergonomics (how the guitar fits to your body, contours, belly cut, carve -- this also includes aspects of the neck to some degree)
                        - how your hand responds to fixed bridge vs. trem system bridge (another aspect of ergonomics)
                        - whether you want single-coil pickups or humbucking pickups (doesn't really matter what the pickups are, since you can swap pickups in later -- the important thing is single vs. hum)

Comment

I just bought an HSS Fender Player Start and love it. Pickups are good, guitar came set up ready right out of the box. I spent $580 on it and I would feel confident in making that recommendation.

My second would be a PRS SE. Great looking and sounding for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With a budget of $500. opens a lot of options.

First thing you should consider is what type of guitar you want. A fender scale, or a Gibson scale. I suggest you go to a store and try out some guitars with those attributes and when you have chosen which gels best to you, then you can find a guitar with those same attributes in your budget.

Korean built guitars are considered mid-range and the most you would find in your budget unless you find a used Japanese guitar (which are considered a higher tier). Chinese guitars are hit and miss and are below your budget range. That doesn't mean you wouldn't find one that incidentally plays well. typically when buying new, its not uncommon that they may need some setup work done. Japanese and Korean origin guitars tend to be the most consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Junior View Post
                              With a budget of $500. opens a lot of options.

First thing you should consider is what type of guitar you want. A fender scale, or a Gibson scale. I suggest you go to a store and try out some guitars with those attributes and when you have chosen which gels best to you, then you can find a guitar with those same attributes in your budget.

Korean built guitars are considered mid-range and the most you would find in your budget unless you find a used Japanese guitar (which are considered a higher tier). Chinese guitars are hit and miss and are below your budget range. That doesn't mean you wouldn't find one that incidentally plays well. typically when buying new, its not uncommon that they may need some setup work done. Japanese and Korean origin guitars tend to be the most consistent.
                              I don't disagree, but in the larger context -even the Chinese and Malaysian guitars these days (as long as you check them) are great. We are living in an age where Asian imports are jawdropping in quality and value -every mfg has bad runs or mistakes on occassion, just got to check em through.

The Korean guitars and pretty much on par with Japanese often these days.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X