banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If an electric guitar is acoustically louder, does this translate through pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If an electric guitar is acoustically louder, does this translate through pickups

The question then is - ‘Can the guitar body/components attached to the body affect the way the string vibrates?’
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Re: If an electric guitar is acoustically louder, does this translate through pickups

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
      The question then is - ‘Can the guitar body/components attached to the body affect the way the string vibrates?’
      No. We know that the body can dampen strings by absorbing energy. If the body was made of cheese, you would get less string vibration. The question is ‘Can the guitar body/components attached to the body increase the way the string vibrates?’

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        On whose authority are you making this claim? The pickups of a guitar sense the string, not the body. The particulars of a body affecting the volume of a guitar would obviously require the body to affect the strings.
        Lol...you should be more sensitive. I sense that it was a sarcasm...or mocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          On whose authority are you making this claim? The pickups of a guitar sense the string, not the body. The particulars of a body affecting the volume of a guitar would obviously require the body to affect the strings.
          On whose authority are YOU making THIS claim?
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
            Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            No. We know that the body can dampen strings by absorbing energy. If the body was made of cheese, you would get less string vibration..
            Well then, the answer would be YES.

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            The question is ‘Can the guitar body/components attached to the body increase the way the string vibrates?’

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no.
            Actually, that question cannot be specifically answered because the word "INCREASE" is a relative term and it hasn't been specified what it is relative to. Relative to the sound when the body IS made of Swiss cheese? When it is made of rubber? Because of this, the best answer (which would be a very general answer) would have to be "YES".

However, as I and others have accurately stated, even though there are many factors that can affect the acoustic and the amplified sounds (mainly "loudness") of a guitar, those effects would have a negligible affect (relative to the affect that the pups and amplifier have) on the loudness of an amplified guitar to even consider.

So then, in a practical sense, the answer WOULD have to be "NO"
            Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-08-2019, 06:17 AM.

Comment

(I DO hope my answers have thoroughly confused everyone).

Comment

I think that the final waveform of the sound sensed by the pickups must be a very complex function, whose set of parameters/inputs include all aspects of the guitar's construction. Just to clarify with two rather extreme examples :
                1) super loud acoustically. This might mean energy lost off the strings, less sustain.
                2) some notes/harmonics are barely heard acoustically. Most probably this would translate to also poor amplified tone when plugged in.

Comment

^ In other words...."I confirm what GuitarDoc has said".

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    ^ In other words...."I confirm what GuitarDoc has said".
                    if you say so bro

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Considering the world's greatest players will sound unbelievable on a Yamaha Pacifica through a Peavey Bandit -I'd say all the tonal nuances and maximizing our tonal improvements through gear and material selection is really something more important for us less than incredibly gifted players.
                      So let's become great players and let's forget about saddle material.
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Thread: If an electric guitar is acoustically louder, does this translate through pickups?

I would say only if the pick ups are the same.
                        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

^ Great players worry about making great music. People who suck worry about obtaining great tone to compensate for the lack - great tone only noticeable when playing alone at 2 a.m. in the bedroom.

Yet I have to admit, I love watching people making a fool of themselves discussing dumb ideas like those in this thread.

Comment

Simple answer? No.

Comment

Working...
                            X