banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Acoustic Needs Neck Re-set - other options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Acoustic Needs Neck Re-set - other options?

Hello

As the title says...
    I have an old acoustic guitar in, where the action is too high, and the neck is almost impossible to play, especially from 5th fret and on...
    The saddle is as low as it will go, the same for the nut, and the bridge has been shaved a little... so I'm looking for options..
    I do a lot of repair, setup and maintenance on guitars, so I know my fair share, but opinions would be nice, from you all..
    A Neck Re-set is obviously the way to go here, but do I have another alternative?

Cheers.

Re: Old Acoustic Needs Neck Re-set - other options?

You can shave the bridge down if it's tall. There's also something called a 'bridge doctor' that you can use if the problem is being caused by the top warping, it fits in the guitar and applies counterforce under the bridge.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yep, first check the bridge belly with a ruler. You might see a bulge behind the bridge and a dip between the soundhole and the bridge.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Also, look for a Dan Erlewine video, where he sands a contour into the base of the bridge plate to counteract the bulging top of an acoustic. Not only is it highly educational and informative, it’s kind of meditative to watch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Save your money and buy a new guitar.

What is the "old" guitar...Vintage Martin? If not, skip the hassle. New Guitar is best cost/benefit.

There is an alternative for you...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yes, please let us know what instrument you have, and maybe some pictures of the problem?
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
              Yep, first check the bridge belly with a ruler. You might see a bulge behind the bridge and a dip between the soundhole and the bridge.
              This isn't necessarily an indicator of a problem. Every acoustic I've seen that was older than 40 has at least a little belly bulge and dip under the strings. It could be a problem though, so if the OP can show the amount of dip with some pictures someone here could probably let him know if it's worth worrying about.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Neck reset is really the only option.
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                X