What pickup to add to an acoustic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickup to add to an acoustic?

I play acoustic in a church band. It’s countryish sounding, and up beat. I’ll be using a 1985 guild D-25 and need to add a pickup to connect to a DI box to the house. What are some nice pickup suggestions that have a good acoustic sound?
    I currently use a epiphone masterbuilt, but eats the little watch batteries that run the preamp. I need a more reliable backup.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What pickup to add to an acoustic?

Toyota Tacoma. Not the best sound in the country but it is absolutely reliable.
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

I'd go with the Mag Mic...it blends a magnetic pickup with a microphone, and you can set the ratio of each pickup. It is a great solution that doesn't alter the guitar. But also check out the other steel string options, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
        Toyota Tacoma. Not the best sound in the country but it is absolutely reliable.
        [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The old reliable Bill Lawrence - affordable, bulletproof, dependable, and darn it - it sounds pretty close to an acoustic! Been using them and selling them since the late 70's.

This is not mine...

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

GFS has a preamp that blends a microphone and a bridge piezo or a under bridge stick on transducer
            It ain't expensive

But it will require you to cut a large hole in the side of your guitar
            I'm gonna eventually do it to my Blue Epiphone Hummingbird
            Just haven't gotten around to it

Heck I have played shows where the rhythm guitar had an SM58 thrown in the sound hole
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Apart from Toyota pickups I'm sort of fan of using SD Woody noiseless pickups here and there for DI. Their functionality is just awesome, just attach to any guitar with a soundhole in 10 seconds then: go with a good warm punchy acoustic DI sound.

They work pretty fine in most of clubs and in recording environment of controlled power. Only trolled power gives them hard time (industrial machines or broadcast equipment nearby, house power grounding issues, LED lights galore, power polarity issues etc) so in some clubs they just as sensitive to heavy electromagnetic mess as normal magnetic pickups.
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Will you have an external preamp? If so the K&K Pure Western does absolutely no damage to your guitar. If no preamp, the LR Baggs Anthem or Lyric does no damage and also can have a mic. Both are transducers that you stick to the underside of the bridge, and some combination of the lyric/anthem has a blendable mic too.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

ive used a magmic for years and i think its great

Comment

I like Fishman USTs. I would have the Fishman Gold installed, to use with the AURA Spectrum DI box. (Since you need a DI box anyway.) The onboard AURA F1+ systems on my Martin Retro models produce the most natural acoustic tones I've heard. The Spectrum gives you that same amount of control in a feature-loaded pedal, and it works very well with my non-AURA Fishman systems. Strongly recommended.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I've been using a passive (no batteries required) Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker in my 72 Guild D40 for years = $180. If that's more than you want to spend I just put a passive single coil Fishman Neo "D" in one of my my other acoustics that's outstanding = $40.

Comment

I prefer a Fishman Rare Earth Sound hole for the "sound" overall, LR baggs humbucker too.

I'm not a fan of Piezo pickups -except reliability and convenience -they often sound poor compared to transducer and microphone systems.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                        X