banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some decent lightweight tuners for a strat that don't cost much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some decent lightweight tuners for a strat that don't cost much?

I'm planning a build that will have a floyd, so the tuners don't have to be top shelf, but I want 'em to work and to be relatively light weight. Any ideas?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: What are some decent lightweight tuners for a strat that don't cost much?

I think the old school tuners Fender used with the hole in the top of the post are pretty tough to beat. Love how the end of the string goes in the post, and they can go on and off without breaking.

I really like the locking tuners on both of my PRS guitars, but I think I'm putting the ones I described above on the MIM Strat.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

OEM Fender branded Locking Schallers is all you need. 45-65 bucks online.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-03 19.18.04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	5817499
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        OEM Fender branded Locking Schallers is all you need. 45 bucks online.
        I'd rather have something with some wraps around the post for a Floyd. I used to put about twice as many wraps as normal, and when I inevitably broke a string at the bridge, I'd unwind it a few wraps, re-clamp, tune back up, and be back in business pretty quickly.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          I'd rather have something with some wraps around the post for a Floyd. I used to put about twice as many wraps as normal, and when I inevitably broke a string at the bridge, I'd unwind it a few wraps, re-clamp, tune back up, and be back in business pretty quickly.
          This is a little bit of a concern. It's not often that I break a string at the bridge, but it does happen now and again. If I got locking tuners, I'd never use the locking feature anyway . . . and would figure that that would add some weight.

Anyone have experience with these hipshot tuners:

?

A friend recommended them to me as pretty light weight . . . and apparently you don't need to drill any holes with the mounting plate (which also makes it easier to align them). All pluses in my book.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I had a Legator that someone put the locking open gear Hipshots on. They look super cool, but I don't think they really worked any better than anything else. The locking Planet Waves tuners feel better to me.

How far off is your build? If you're into chrome & right hand 6-in-line, you can have the tuners off my Strat when I switch to the vintage style. They work fine, I'm just dumb and like replacing crap that works perfectly well.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              OEM Fender branded Locking Schallers is all you need. 45-65 bucks online.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101826[/ATTACH]
              Heavy, unnecessarily expensive for what the OP needs, and redundant with a Floyd. Completely the opposite of what the OP asked for.

To the OP, you are correct that you don't need great tuners with a Floyd. I would get stamped old-style tuners. They are lightweight, and generic versions are plenty cheap.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                I had a Legator that someone put the locking open gear Hipshots on. They look super cool, but I don't think they really worked any better than anything else. The locking Planet Waves tuners feel better to me.

How far off is your build? If you're into chrome & right hand 6-in-line, you can have the tuners off my Strat when I switch to the vintage style. They work fine, I'm just dumb and like replacing crap that works perfectly well.
                I appreciate the offer (if nothing else, the price is right)! All the hardware on this will be black though . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  Heavy, unnecessarily expensive for what the OP needs, and redundant with a Floyd. Completely the opposite of what the OP asked for.

To the OP, you are correct that you don't need great tuners with a Floyd. I would get stamped old-style tuners. They are lightweight, and generic versions are plenty cheap.
                  Yeah, I wasn't paying attention apparently
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have some inline black tuners I took off my Ibanez RG2
                    I'll have to look for them

You are welcome to those if you like
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      I have some inline black tuners I took off my Ibanez RG2
                      I'll have to look for them

You are welcome to those if you like
                      Price works for me! :P

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Price works for me! :P
                        Let me see if I can locate them
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X