Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIM Strat refinish

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
    Oooo, good color choice. The Minwax "Tung Oil" is a good polymer-based finish.
    Thanks man. I’m really happy with the reliced way it’s coming out.

How many coats of tung oil would you do on the body? The neck has 4, and after steel wooling, it feels great. Mine ax is the one I’m using.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      It’s coming along. After sanding out the first coat of clear, I decided to try tung oil. Think it was a good choice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101925[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101926[/ATTACH]
      I've always wondered what purpose those three circles are routed out for.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
      "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Thanks man. I’m really happy with the reliced way it’s coming out.

How many coats of tung oil would you do on the body? The neck has 4, and after steel wooling, it feels great. Mine ax is the one I’m using.
        You can do as many as you like. I used the same finish on my Nuno Washburns and I want to say it was just 2-3 costs with scuff pad in between.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post

My guess is to differentiate American bodies from Mexican.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

It's all done and ready for reassembly... and I'm too tired after work tonight to fire up a damn soldering iron to reconnect the ground wires. Oh, well... tomorrow I suppose.

Comment

They align the body for the CNC machine.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The lighting made the first pic a little bright, the second is more accurate to how it really looks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	5817538

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	5817539

Comment

Well, I dig it. It is a unique looking strat, which isn't easy to do.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Pretty sure they are for the CNC machine to anchor the body while it routes the top. Could be wrong but I think I am right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Well, I dig it. It is a unique looking strat, which isn't easy to do.
                      Thanks! When my pickups get here, I’m going to install a treble bleed and eventually a TBX tone for the neck pickup. The nut, tuners, tree, and saddles will all be getting upgraded down the line, as well. For now, though, I’m amazed at how blurry the line between American and Mexican Strats is, once that plastic armor shell is gone.

Comment

Thanks! When my pickups get here, I’m going to install a treble bleed and eventually a TBX tone for the neck pickup. The nut, tuners, tree, and saddles will all be getting upgraded down the line, as well. For now, though, I’m amazed at how blurry the line between American and Mexican Strats is, once that plastic armor shell is gone.
                        Just from my experience, the best way to wire a TBX is as such:

Name:	tbx_bass-cut.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	5817541

The only thing that I'd change on this schematic is the the treble cap should be .018uf and the bass cut should be .0018uf. The entire range of a tone control is crammed into one half of the pot so it is better to keep that value low so that adjusting it is easier, and the bass cut isn't all that obvious unless you have a value .0022uf or lower.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

NICE color combo.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Chistopher- I had one in my last Strat, and loved the extra sizzle it gave the neck. Left it wide open most of the time. I prefer having the TBX effect only the neck, standard 250k on the bridge, no tone on the middle. In this case, since I’m using a humbucker in the bridge I’ll probably use a 500k tone, but it sounds great as-is.

Goober- Thanks man! I’m really happy with it.

Comment

Reminds me of a nice worn in pair of jeans. I dig it
                              "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...
                              X