Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever use a Villex mid-boost?

. . . or have any idea how it works?

I don't understand how a passive circuit can add volume, but this seems to do so.

http://www.villex.com/sounds.html
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Anyone ever use a Villex mid-boost?

Looks like you may need to brush up your knowledge of capacitance and inductive circuits.

Here is a link to a similar component.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

i havent but ive wanted to try the rotary boost

Comment

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
        Looks like you may need to brush up your knowledge of capacitance and inductive circuits.

Here is a link to a similar component.

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_passive.html
        None of the things in what you've linked to are similar. They achieve 'increase' in mid-range by cutting the highs and low, with a net effect of dropping the guitar output level. I know how to do that just fine (and you don't need expensive capacitors to achieve the effect).

You can hear in the audio clips from the Villex website that there's an increase in output along with the mids going up. I don't understand how that's achieved through passive circuits, but if you do, I'd be happy to hear how.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I’ve installed a few Villex circuits.

The way it works is with a step up transformer.

Villex is the guy who invented the Transsensor and Alumitone pickups for Lace. They also use a small step up transformer.

They seem to work fine. But it’s nothing like an active circuit. I’m presently building a bsss for someone that uses both an active preamp and the Villex 3 band circuit. I think it’s redundant, but that’s now the guy sets up his basses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

so have you used the villex rotary mid boost david? what did you think?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              so have you used the villex rotary mid boost david? what did you think?
              I think that was the first one I installed. It was a while back. It was interesting. It’s not a huge boost. It’s kind of like that resonant boost you get when your tone control is rolled all the way off.

It gave a range of useful mid peaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

sounds like it might be worth trying on a strat with vintage output pups to get a little more pleasing tone with overdrive

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  sounds like it might be worth trying on a strat with vintage output pups to get a little more pleasing tone with overdrive
                  That's sort of what I was thinking. A bit of a mid boost for some leads, while still keeping the traditional scooped strat sound at other times.

Comment

I seem to remember a user saying the Villex gives a noticeable volume boost in rigs where the guitar is plugged straight into the amp, but that it does this by taking advantage of impedance differential downstream from the guitar. So if there's a buffer in between guitar and amp it hardly does anything.

From the Villex page: "Villex boosters require high impedance input with impedance ≥ 1Mohm."

EDIT: found the relevant post on Strat-talk - here's a link
                    Greetings, tonequester here. I have heard talk on more than one forum about a "passive mid-range booster jack" for Strats, offered by Villex for $112.00. Many people were making and agreeing to the point made about "passive boosting" being like a perpetual motion device.....impossible. I...
                    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 11-06-2019, 09:27 PM.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Ah. That would suck for what I want. I am running through a pedalboard all the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X