banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I question whether I have the correct tremolo arm springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I question whether I have the correct tremolo arm springs?

I installed a steel block from Guitar Fetish for my Classic Vibe Strat. It's the Mexican Block not the Import Block. The Block fits the bridge plate fine no problems there, but this morning I dropped in the small tremolo arm spring which I bought from Sweetwater. They are made by Fender and they are labeled American SRS Tremolo Arm Springs. The part number is 0994931000.

When I screwed in the tremolo arm it would not screw in all the way. I could see some of the threads on the arm still visible so I knew something was amiss.

Then when I went to tip the guitar upside down the spring would not fall out.

So I took a very tiny drill bit and held it with my hand and stuck it in the hold and pulled it upwards and I did get the spring out.

I also tried screwing in the arm without the spring and when it felt like I was done the arm was just a little sloppy and loose.

I do have another arm that came with the stock block but that sticks out from the body too far and looks and feels weird.

I'm not sure what to do.

Do they make other varieties of tremolo arm springs?

Re: I question whether I have the correct tremolo arm springs?

Is the trem arm hitting the new block thus preventing it from screwing all the way in?

Comment

What do you mean by hitting the block?

Comment

As you screw it down does the threaded part of the arm contact the trem block, and maybe that’s why it won’t screw in all the way.
        IOW, maybe the new block you installed is partially covering the trem arm hole on the underside?

Comment

I question whether I have the correct tremolo arm springs?

Remove the arm and use a flashlight to look inside the trem screw-in hole...is there an obstruction from the new block (or anything else that would prevent the arm from screwing all the way in?)

Comment

I had the same problem with GFS steel block. Putting the spring in made the arm not to screw deep enough. Then it got stuck in and I had to get creative to get it out. I think the hole in block is just too shallow for the spring to fit.

I ditched the spring and used pipe sealant tape to get the arm solid.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I have two tremolo arms. The one that I bought from Guitar Fetish and the one that came with the guitar. One of the arms (I'm not sure but it may be the one that I got from Guitar Fetish) the length of bar where the bend is present is too long. So when I screw it in the block the tremolo arm sits out too far from the guitar and looks and feels strange.

I may have to go with Callaham after all if I want a properly fitting tremolo.

Comment

Most people toss out the spring or use a bearing with it. The spring will dig into the block and gall the threads (thus ruining the block)

Stew Mac sells a kit, but you could easily source parts elsewhere.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Did you notice that the spring and/or ball bearing (I assume they are steel) can cause cancer?! (Tucked away in a hole that you never touch).

We guitar players who are constantly touching steel (or alloy) parts, like strings, frets, trem arms, tuning keys, bridges, pickups, jacks and plugs, etc., are in constant danger.

If Calif. lawmakers are correct, we will probably all die of cancer within the next year.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                    Most people toss out the spring or use a bearing with it. The spring will dig into the block and gall the threads (thus ruining the block)

Stew Mac sells a kit, but you could easily source parts elsewhere.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...on_Spring.html
                    I've never heard of the spring eating away at the threads in the block. I ordered another tremolo arm on Ebay. This fits a Fender Mexican block. Why not try it.

Comment

Parts are just not compatible. Fit from many Guitar Fetish stuff is sometimes sketchy, so in this case we can expect things can be a little wrong. I always thought the whole spring/bearing thing was just a bad design anyway. Hopefully you can find something that works.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Parts are just not compatible. Fit from many Guitar Fetish stuff is sometimes sketchy, so in this case we can expect things can be a little wrong. I always thought the whole spring/bearing thing was just a bad design anyway. Hopefully you can find something that works.
                        I tried the Mexican arm and the length is right but it really does not screw into the block correctly. By the time the arm gets tight the arm is pointing at my face. If I left it a little looser which is fine by me the arm has some wobble in it.

I could try the Stewmac ball bearing idea but I think it is best to just buy a Callaham block and pop-in arm. Nothing beats that stuff as far as fit goes.

Comment

What does Fender use to make the these so-called big blocks?

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Fender 0071014049 Vintage-Style Standard Series Stratocaster Tremolo Assemblies at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
                          Last edited by 357mag; 12-26-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I am all for standardization with these things. The pop-in arm idea with a tension adjustment seems to be the best idea, and Fender should immediately do that on every instrument.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Did you notice that the spring and/or ball bearing (I assume they are steel) can cause cancer?! (Tucked away in a hole that you never touch).

We guitar players who are constantly touching steel (or alloy) parts, like strings, frets, trem arms, tuning keys, bridges, pickups, jacks and plugs, etc., are in constant danger.

If Calif. lawmakers are correct, we will probably all die of cancer within the next year.
                              Please tell me that your joke just simply flew over my head... I just got up and my sarcasm detector might still be in stand by mode.😁

Comment

Working...
                              X