Headstock decal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock decal

Does everyone just use waterslide decals for headstocks, or is it possible to use vinyl stickers? I want something like this:

But with a thick black outline and neon pink for the character . . . and I don't think I can get neon pink on a waterslide decal (at least have never seen one). I'm sure I've seen very bright pink colours on vinyl stickers, and the ones I used to used to stick on my skateboard were pretty durable.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Headstock decal

I've used vinyl before, it holds up well. My wife has a CriCut machine and does custom decals among other things. So she has cut some decals for me. This one is a brushed aluminum style vinyl, doesnt show up well in pics though.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200302_102421.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	5818385
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
      I've used vinyl before, it holds up well. My wife has a CriCut machine and does custom decals among other things. So she has cut some decals for me. This one is a brushed aluminum style vinyl, doesnt show up well in pics though.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]103591[/ATTACH]
      Cool! You just get vinyl sheets somewhere and cut 'em out then?

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My Warmoth decal is essentially a metal sticker. It looks great several years later.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          Cool! You just get vinyl sheets somewhere and cut 'em out then?
          Pretty much. You can order the adhesive backed vinyl in all kinds of styles, colors, patterns, textures, etc. We've done some carbon fiber type, brushed metals, or with zebra, tiger, or whatever. You can layer them too as long as it's a thinner vinyl. Like with the black background with a neon pink center or whatever you want.
          Last edited by v8stang289; 03-02-2020, 10:55 AM.
          "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

If you have a color laser printer
            You can print out your design on regular paper

Get a roll of the wide clear packing tape
            You may have some sitting around

Once your print is sized to scale

Press the clear tape over the top of the design
            Make sure the tape covers the design in one piece

Rub the top of the tape with something like the handle of a pair of scissors
            This ensures contact of the adhesive and the print and removes air bubbles

Trim closely the design

A cup of warm water
            Must be warm not cold

Put the design covered in tape in the water
            It will start to curl in about 3-4 minutes the paper will start to slide off
            Rubber the paper gently to roll it off the tape
            The design will stay on the tape

Once all the white paper is gone

Drip some water from the cup onto the landing spot
            Place the design where you want it
            It will side around easily

Once it is in place
            Hold it still with a finger and dab the water off slowly from the center out
            With a dry towel or paper towel
            Let it dry for about an hour the get ready to spray a few coats of clear over it

Some people say spraying clear over it before trimming it helps but
            I didnt do that
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I get my vinyl sticker made from various e-bay people for a low price. I seal over it and it looks good.
              Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
              http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

If you want the old school look, you screen print onto decal release paper, then screen a top sealer coat of clear lacquer over the final design. Any available screen-printable material can be used, and there is definitely hot pink (and pretty much everything else) available.

You should be able to use vinyl stickers, though I have never done so myself. Not sure if you can clear coat over them, but I would think that you can, with the right material (maybe not a solvent-based clear coat). A few possible problems I can forsee would be that I would think you don't want a relief from the vinyl, that solvent-based clear coat might melt the vinyl when sprayed on, and that the vinyl might slightly shrink over time. But it's worth some experiments, if you don't want to go the traditional screen printing route.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-04-2020, 01:21 PM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I've read about screen printing, but it seemed to be a little difficult. You think I could just print a black and white waterslide, then paint inside of it with a fine brush?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    I've read about screen printing, but it seemed to be a little difficult. You think I could just print a black and white waterslide, then paint inside of it with a fine brush?
                    You could, but it would look bad unless you are a top-notch painter. You want to paint your rough color blocks first, then put your neat black lines on at the end.

I wouldn't get into screen printing just to do this, but there are probably a zillion local screen printers in your area who can be hired to do a small project like this.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                      You could, but it would look bad unless you are a top-notch painter. You want to paint your rough color blocks first, then put your neat black lines on at the end.

I wouldn't get into screen printing just to do this, but there are probably a zillion local screen printers in your area who can be hired to do a small project like this.
                      Set up is most of the cost
                      Regardless of size

When I did shirts

The first one was 50 bucks
                      Only 10 bucks each after that

Setup
                      Making the stencil
                      Is the artist part
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                      X