banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my middle position series or parallel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my middle position series or parallel?

Hi guys,

I have a guitar with a LP style three-way toggle switch and master Vol and Tone. You probably know the deal - the pickups go to the switch and then the common goes to the volume etc. Thing is, the middle position sounds to me like both pickups in parallel - kinda thin and reductive. I would have thought they'd be in series, because I think the middle position on a LP are both pickups in series, and I'm using a LP switch.

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding a push/pull to allow me to switch the middle position between series and parallel, does this diagram look right? Also I'd like to wire the switch so that the pickups are in series when the knob is pushed down, could you tell me which way up I should view the diagram for that?
    Thanks guys!Click image for larger version

Name:	ser-par-lp-N.gif
Views:	3
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	5853755

Re: Is my middle position series or parallel?

middle position is both pups in parallel, so id guess thats what you have as well

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      middle position is both pups in parallel, so id guess thats what you have as well
      Got it, thanks. It certainly sounds that way if I were to guess.

If anyone could tell me which way up I should wire the switch to have series wiring in the down position on the push/pull I'd really appreciate it. As in the end nearest the pot part or the bottom of the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by DenDenDen View Post
        Got it, thanks. It certainly sounds that way if I were to guess.

If anyone could tell me which way up I should wire the switch to have series wiring in the down position on the push/pull I'd really appreciate it. As in the end nearest the pot part or the bottom of the switch.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_145719.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	5818703

Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_04-11-03.01.25.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	5818704
        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-11-2020, 01:07 PM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks for the drawing! So in the original diagram, the top lugs should be the ones furthest from the pot.

Comment

Thanks for the drawing! So in the original diagram, the top lugs should be the ones furthest from the pot.
            Yes
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

A multimeter is your friend

Once you get set up

Insert cable into guitar jack

With the volume wide open
              Select neck position

Meter set to ohms

One meter lead to tip of the cable end
              One lead to the shaft of the cable end

In neck position it should read the resistance of the neck pickup
              In the bridge position the meter should read the resistance of the bridge pickup

In the center position
              In parallel it should read
              Bridge plus neck divided by 4

In series it should read
              Bridge plus neck resistance
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks Jack that's super helpful.

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                In parallel it should read
                Bridge plus neck divided by 4
                In series it should read
                Bridge plus neck resistance
                Thanks ehdwuld, not sure if it will make a difference to your equation but the pickups aren't humbuckers, They're actually 'bucker-sized goldfoils. I'm sure I can still observe your method in some way, but I was wondering if you thought the result would be "Bridge plus neck divided by 4" because you thought there were four coils at play. Thanks all the same though, I hadn't heard of anything like this before.

Comment

Nope that's just the way the math works
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                    Nope that's just the way the math works
                    Got it, in my ignorance I wasn't sure if it made a difference. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Sorry to bring back an older thread, but could anyone tell me how I can expect the series/parallel switch to interact with the selector switch? From what I've read I think it'll essentially bypass it and give me both pickups in series no matter what position the selector switch is in. Can anyone say for sure?

I'm not looking to implement this mod on the same guitar I was referring to in the first post; the pickups I was using only had a hot and a shielded ground so it wasn't possible, but I've since acquired a 335 style geet and would like to do this mod with '50s wiring.

Comment

Sorry to bring back an older thread, but could anyone tell me how I can expect the series/parallel switch to interact with the selector switch? From what I've read I think it'll essentially bypass it and give me both pickups in series no matter what position the selector switch is in. Can anyone say for sure?

I'm not looking to implement this mod on the same guitar I was referring to in the first post; the pickups I was using only had a hot and a shielded ground so it wasn't possible, but I've since acquired a 335 style geet and would like to do this mod with '50s wiring.
                        For anyone else attempting to follow along: the last question above ended up getting asked in this other thread and an answer was also posted there:

Comment

Working...
                        X