• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Overused Cliche Terms When Selling A Guitar

“Plays like butter, amazing neck”
    “Guitar plays by itself”
    “Plays like a dream”

....if that’s the case, why sell the guitar in the first place
    Anyways, add your own guys or ones you’ve heard in the past that made you chuckle.

Re: Most Overused Cliche Terms When Selling A Guitar

Read any guitar review in any guitar magazine in the last 30 years, and it is full of the worst cliches in journalism. I swear, I think they write the 'reviews' from the spec sheet.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by kramer.geetar View Post
      “Plays like butter, amazing neck”
      “Guitar plays by itself”
      “Plays like a dream”

....if that’s the case, why sell the guitar in the first place
      Anyways, add your own guys or ones you’ve heard in the past that made you chuckle.
      "looking to trade-but only want cash"

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Comment

"sounds great unplugged" - definitely important but a cliché when it comes to guitar stores in my area anyway

"Quality pickups" even when we're talking about stock cheapies

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
          "sounds great unplugged" - definitely important but a cliché when it comes to guitar stores in my area anyway.
          Whenever I see a guitar advertised on its unplugged sound, I figure it's plugged-in sound, aka the important one, isn't anything to write home about.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Mint Condition, except _____

Comment

These are some good ones so far.
              I always liked the term custom or rare being thrown around. Those in the Kramer guitar community, such as muttznmongrelz, know that nothing is more common than a rare Kramer.
              Custom cracks me up as well, especially when they hacked up a decent guitar.

The EVH basement builders are a great source of entertainment also, “It’s got the brown sound built in” haha yea sure

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
                Mint Condition, except _____
                Ha. this one is so true.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The EVH basement builders are a great source of entertainment also, “It’s got the brown sound built in” haha yea sure
                  I've never seen a guitar with a built-in Plexi before.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

"Broken in, mature wood"

Also, one of my faves, but unfortunately the ad is gone, so cannot link it (I hope nobody bought it): A guy was advertising a "slightly modded" Jackson RR. "The body was modded to be more comfortable". The picture? A Jackson neck bolted on to an Ibanez Iceman body... "Slightly modded Jackson Randy Rhoads"...

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      I've never seen a guitar with a built-in Plexi before.
                      Haha, yea it’s got a built in plexi with an attenuator set to 90v, thus starving the amp thus browning it out, hence brown sound. It always surprises me how many people don’t understand how that term originated, brown sound. Which makes calling a guitar that’s got the brown sound even more absurd.

Comment

Haha, yea it’s got a built in plexi with an attenuator set to 90v, thus starving the amp thus browning it out, hence brown sound. It always surprises me how many people don’t understand how that term originated, brown sound. Which makes calling a guitar that’s got the brown sound even more absurd.
                        It's funny because the term was originally used to describe Alex's snare.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          It's funny because the term was originally used to describe Alex's snare.
                          Alex is very under rated, amazing drummer and yea his snare is awesome sounding. VH always had amazing drums, and of course guitar.

Comment

Another one I'll add. Especially on Reverb, if you buy a pedal that is in "excellent" condition instead of "near mint", but doesn't have a knick on it, that's slang for "there's velcro on the back".

Comment

The one that always bugged me was "it's my favorite guitar, but it's gotta go".....
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X