banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: The Artist Formerly Known As Artist, And Currently, Too.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: The Artist Formerly Known As Artist, And Currently, Too.

Arrived yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	02Artist.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	5854581

A customer return from Artist Guitars in Sydney, the bridge pickup cuts out every now and then which I'm thinking is just a small wiring issue, simple fix, but I will be taking the opportunity to change that pickup entirely.

Thinking on that, while the pickup I have has an alnico 8 magnet (Tonerider Octane), would that be too 'loud' for this guitar or would that not matter if I back down on the volume?

Re: NGD: The Artist Formerly Known As Artist, And Currently, Too.

It would depend on what kinda sounds you want from it. My choice would be some kind of unpotted PAF-type. But if you have a pickup you wanna try...let us know how it sounds!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like higher-output pickups in a semi-hollow. Some combinations can cause feedback, though. Give it a try!

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Put a cheap set of probuckers in there
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Put a cheap set of probuckers in there
            The pickups that come with the guitar already have a higher output than probuckers.

Comment

I would definitely use a pup with A8 mag. Not because it has more output, but because it has a fuller tone. It will give it softer highs and more mids which IMO a hollow body needs.

If the pups in it are high output, get rid of them. A more PAFish output works better in a hollow body. High output pups tend to sound very muddy in that type guitar.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                I would definitely use a pup with A8 mag. Not because it has more output, but because it has a fuller tone. It will give it softer highs and more mids which IMO a hollow body needs.

If the pups in it are high output, get rid of them. A more PAFish output works better in a hollow body. High output pups tend to sound very muddy in that type guitar.
                I'll post the video so you know what I'm currently dealing with. It's an earlier model released last year with the same pickups, the one I have was made keeping in line with a 10th year anniversary edition "Brownburst58" from last year.

Yes, he says 'coil tapped' then goes on to explain they're split coil... just ignore that.

Comment

Had the rewiring done. The Tonerider Octane was a good choice, nicely balanced volume from 1-10, and not so over the top that full volume doesn't just sound like noise.

As I look at it in this photo, I'm really glad I gave "sanding" down the finish a shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iFinished.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	6011252

Also includes a blower switch, just because I've not had one put in before.

Comment

Working...
                  X