Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What LP is Pete using here?

In my search for "The Hiwatt sound", I ran across this "The Who" video:

It's hard to grab a screenshot since Pete never holds still, but what is this LP he's using? It's 3-pup, with what appears to be an additional pair of 3-ways above the normal Vol/Tone controls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pete-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	5854588

I've never seen an LP like this before. Thanks.

P.S. Nice stack of Hiwatt's behind him.

Re: What LP is Pete using here?

He modded his Deluxes with a middle pickup, with their own sets of volume/tone knobs. Strange, but he made it sound good.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That, he did. But they don't look like knobs. They look like switches. I'll have to see if I can get a better shot. (Not doubting you, by the way.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        That, he did. But they don't look like knobs. They look like switches. I'll have to see if I can get a better shot. (Not doubting you, by the way.)
        The middle pickup is a DiMarzio Dual Sound, and I believe one switch is set up as on/all pickups/off while the other is a coil split.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

He's got quite a few deluxes with added middle pickups. That seems to be #1

Comment

You seriously never knew about this guitar???
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              In depth:

I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Nope. At the time that I was seriously into The Who, it was on vinyl. There was no cable, computers or video. I heard them, not saw them.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  He's got quite a few deluxes with added middle pickups. That seems to be #1
                  Those original Deluxes were custom made for Pete, later Gibson put out some numbered replica Deluxes as limited edition guitars.
                  Al

Comment

I wonder what he was trying to do with his mods. Obviously going for a certain sound, but I have no idea what that would do.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I found a webpage that tells what the switches do. One was to split the Dual-Sound to either coil, and the other was to select the Dual-Sound by itself, or have all three pups.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        Nope. At the time that I was seriously into The Who, it was on vinyl. There was no cable, computers or video. I heard them, not saw them.
                        You never read GuitarPlayer or other magazines? It’s an iconic guitar.

Pete had a number of those Les Pauls, which is why they have numbers on them.

The middle SuperDistortion pickup was only used for feedback.

On records he was mostly using one of Entwistle’s Gretsches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                          You never read GuitarPlayer or other magazines? It’s an iconic guitar.
                          Occasionally. But not much. I've truly never seen that LP before.

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                          Pete had a number of those Les Pauls, which is why they have numbers on them.
                          When I first saw this video, I was wondering what that white stripe was. I thought that maybe he wrote switch labels on there. Then, after doing more research, I realized that that was #1.

Comment

Working...
                          X