banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tone Gurus Please Advise! Buzz issue. All info/pictures/diagram included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Gurus Please Advise! Buzz issue. All info/pictures/diagram included.

Hello, Seymour Duncan Forum. My name is Nick. I am new here and this is my first post. My guitar setup has a serious buzzing issue that i have been casually trying for years to fix. I've done countless hours of research in attempt to learn and figure this out. I will do my best to include all vital information to paint the full picture of my unique circumstance.

-----Problem as it stands currently-----
    Very obnoxious buzz/hum when on gain channel. Not present with guitar volume all the way down. With volume knob all the way up and tone all the way down, i can hear the underlying profile of the buzz, as soon as i crack open the tone knob it comes in full force and even more as the tone knob reaches ten. There is a separate, more subtle and normal hum that does lessen as i touch the bridge/strings/and other ground points, but the loud buzz on the surface of the noise does not change by touching grounds. However, there IS some change in intensity as i rotate the guitar around my room. You would think that would mean that it is simply EMI right? Well that's exactly why i just shielding my guitar, but there was zero reduction in noise. I've tried unplugging everything in my room (tv, lights, fan, etc.), no change, there isn't anything substantial on this circuit that i could think would cause such an annoying level of EMI, there must be something else going on here. Also, on VERY rare occasion, the buzz seems to disappear for a couple seconds at a time, but i don't know why. I've tried poking around in the electrical cavity to see if i can make it happen (like a loose connection or something), but nothing, it just seems random. Strange. I get a louder buzz when i touch the signal wires from the pickups on the switch, and the one going from the switch the volume pot, but obviously that will happen. I thought about replacing the wire from the switch to the volume pot with a shielded one, but it's only 2 inches long, and the electrical cavity is in a shielded Faraday cage anyways, i would think that would handle shielding any outside EMI, right? That just cant be the source of all this buzz. I'll try it if all else fails.

-----MY GEAR-----
    Guitar: Ibanez RGA8 (8 string electric guitar) - Seymour Duncan Passive pickups (Nazgul bridge - Sentient neck)
    Amp: B-52 LS-100 Tri-channel 100 watts RMS, plugged into an EbTech HumX, then into a wall outlet with proper ground/polarity
    Cabinet: Kustom 4x12
    Cables: Brand new Mogami Gold 10' instrument cable and 3' speaker cable from head to cab.

I just finished redoing the entire electrical setup on this guitar for the second time. The first time i did it was a few years ago. At that time, i removed the Active stock Ibanez pickups and the useless EQ switch, and added a no-load tone pot, Seymour Duncan passive pickups, and a Seymour Duncan Liberator 500k volume pot to aid in wiring everything up, mainly because that was my first time handling guitar electronics and it seemed to help make things easier. I was sure to do all my research and do my best to do it properly. I'm mechanically inclined so it wasn't too difficult. However, even though i was confident in my work, ever since the first time i plugged it in after that, there was much more noticeable buzz than there was before I made those changes. I was unsatisfied, but i didn't know how to fix it, so i left it, for years. Ugh. I even took it to a guitar shop to see if they could find anything, but they didn't. I'm not convince the guy REALLY took the time to diagnose thoroughly, instead just charged me for the bench time and sold me on an EbTech HumX, which did nothing for my noise

Fast forward to recently. I'm finally fed up with the noise. I want a clean tone! Every electric guitarist is force to deal with a bit of noise, but from what i read and here in other peoples setups, mine seems excessive. I started by replacing the cables, spending the money to get quality ones, because i'm fed up, and because they are nice Then, after that didn't work, i decide to do a BUNCH more research, and try rewiring again. I bought 2 brand new Bourns 500k audio taper pots to replace the Liberator and tone pot. I won't be changing pickups (unless these one are the issue ???) so i won't need the liberator, and i wanted to cross off all possibilities, and stick to the basics, keeping it as minimal and proper as possible. Also got some copper shielding tape w/ conductive glue and some new wiring. I started by removing everything, shielding under the pickups, in the main electrical cavity and in the output jack cavity, connecting them with sections of wire and solder, checking for continuity with a multi-meter. Then i wired up all the components, using this Seymour Duncan diagram as a reference:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2H_3B_1V_1T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	5854626
    The 3 way switch in this diagram is a different style, so I had to find a different resource to tell me how to wire that. Also, i moved the bridge ground and the output jack ground to the volume pot instead of the tone pot, in attempt to achieve more of a "Star Grounding" configuration, as per my research.

This is the wiring diagram I made illustrating my current wiring setup. I spent 2 hours making this from scratch in Paint, so please enjoy lol:

Name:	Ibanez RGA8 wiring diagram.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	5854627

Picture of my setup:

Name:	0621201241.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	5854633Click image for larger version

Name:	0621201242.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	5854630Click image for larger version

Name:	0621201240.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	5854634Click image for larger version

Name:	0621201243.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	5854631Click image for larger version

Name:	0621201239_HDR.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	5854635Click image for larger version

Name:	0621201241a.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	5854632
    More pics in another post

I have one theory that there is a ground loop going on between the electronics because the shielding is literally grounding everything together, kinda like this picture i found online:

Name:	Incorrect-Gibson-Wiring-1980x1229.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5854628

Name:	Correct-Gibson-Wiring-1980x1229.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	5854629

I was wondering if maybe I pull on the tone pot and maybe the switch, and cut out the shielding underneath them so they are no longer grounded to the shield and therefore everything else, and then just add a ground jumper wire from those components to the volume pot, achieving more of a true star grounding configuration. But then I watch a video on youtube from DylanTalksTone where he basically says there is no such thing as a ground loop in a guitar because all points ground to one common ground (the output jack) and the star grounding is just a myth basically. He seems to be pretty confident in saying this, but it conflicts with other sources of information i've found of people talking about ground loops in guitars and how it introduces noise. I don't know who to believe. Something to add though, some guitars (like Stratocasters) have their electronics grounded similarly to the way mine are now, because they are all mounted to the metal shield behind the pick guard, just like mine are mounted to the copper shielding in the cavity. What's the difference? Why does my guitar buzz so badly???

I'm not sure what else i'm leaving out, but I hope this is enough info so that you guys could maybe give me your critiques/suggestions/ideas. If someone knows a way that i can upload my pictures, please share. Maybe i'll look for an image compressor and try that while i wait for some feedback. I'm at a loss. I usually enjoy figuring out this sort of stuff independently, but now i'm crying out for help from the experts and enthusiasts here. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Figured out how to compress the photos, they are now uploaded.
    Last edited by mdmoto; 06-21-2020, 02:44 PM. Reason: Uploading pictures

Re: Tone Gurus Please Advise! Buzz issue. All info/pictures/diagram included.

When you have your hand on the strings does the buzzing stop? Does it buzz less when you have your hand on the strings?

If the answer is "No", then the problem could simply be that your bridge/tailpiece is not grounded properly...or at all.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

As I said, there is almost 2 different buzzes. There is a quiet buzz that does get quieter when i touch the bridge/strings, but a louder buzz that does NOT change when i touch the bridge. It's hard to explain.

Also, i forgot to include that I test ALL grounding points with a multi-meter, continuity AND resistance. All points have continuity, and all grounding points are between 0.1-0.5 ohms of resistance, depending on how far apart i'm metering. From bridge to volume pot is 0.2 ohms.

Also, bridge pickup resistance 18.23 k ohms. Neck pickup resistance 10.01 k ohms. Middle position 6.59 k ohms. Seems to be factory spec according to Seymour Duncan spec sheet for the Nazgul and Sentient. Not sure if this info matters to anyone, but i want to be thorough.
      Last edited by mdmoto; 06-21-2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

More pics of setup:

Name:	0620201328.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	5820884Click image for larger version

Name:	0620201327.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	5820885Click image for larger version

Name:	0620201004_HDR.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	5820886Click image for larger version

Name:	0620201328a.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	5820887

ALSO: The plastic covers for the cavities DO have shielding tape on the inside, to make a full faraday cage.
        Last edited by mdmoto; 06-21-2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

In one of the pictures in the main post, you'll see underneath where the bridge assembly should be is a piece of copper shielding tape conneting one threaded insert to the other. The bridge post lugs screw into these inserts. The bridge ground wire is connected to the far stud in the picture. I wanted to connect the two inserts in attempt to increase the ground potential when the bridge is bolted to the body. I also sanded of the black coating on the stud and on the bridge where the sides of the bridge meet the studs, in attempt to increase electrical contact. I don't know if any of this was helpful, or even logical.

Comment

oh is that your jack with the ground connected to the foil?

you may have the hot and ground reversed on the jack

does it shock you at any point?

is that a bass?

great pictures btw

my adhd prevented me from reading the entire first post
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              oh is that your jack with the ground connected to the foil?

you may have the hot and ground reversed on the jack

does it shock you at any point?

is that a bass?

great pictures btw

my adhd prevented me from reading the entire first post
              No the jack is proper wired to the volume pot. The wire soldered to the copper shielding in the output jack cavity is connected to the sheilding in the main cavity. There is continuity between the output jack sleeve and the volume pot case, so I know it's not reversed... And I understand, it's a long post. I had to be thorough, hoping that someone with enough expertise will read it and have enough insight to come up with valid possible solutions. I didn't want to be that guy who just says "My guitar makes noise can you tell me why?" without giving any vital information.

It does not shock me. It is an 8 string guitar.
              Last edited by mdmoto; 06-21-2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Do you have another guitar, and if so, does it buzz when connected to the amp? Is the outlet that your amp is connected to grounded? I knew someone who cut off the ground pin on his amp cord because his house had two-prong plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by bhr View Post
                  Do you have another guitar, and if so, does it buzz when connected to the amp? Is the outlet that your amp is connected to grounded? I knew someone who cut off the ground pin on his amp cord because his house had two-prong plugs.
                  Yes I have a 6 string Ibanez with 2 single coils and 1 humbucker. It hums much less than my 8 string with 2 humbucker AND shielding.

The outlet is properly grounded, I checked with an outlet tester.

Comment

First of all, the guy who said there is no such thing as a ground loop in guitar wiring and that it wasn't necessary to wire the ground in a star is absolutely correct. All those who say differently have a lot of knowledge about wiring but mostly about other types of applications and are mis-applying some of that THEORY to guitars. There isn't enough current in a guitar that those theories would have any relevance to guitar electronics at all.

Secondly, are you sure your switch is as you diagrammed? Is it working correctly? Is there a single hair sized strand of wire anywhere in your guitar that may be touching some other wire or contact (this is easily overlooked when checking the wiring/soldering/contacts).

Thirdly, that sudden unexplained cleaning up of your sound then going back to the buzz is typical of some house currents. Don't let that make you bonkers. However, it is possible that that is your problem.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Here are some process of elimination steps you could try:

Go to a music store and try your guitar there. If it doesn't buzz, it's your amp or house. If it does buzz, it's in your guitar.

Try it in another room. I recently read about someone who had a buzzing sound that was caused by the lights in the room.

Unsolder one of the pickups and try the other one. If that pickup doesn't buzz, try the other one by itself. If one pickup buzzes, solder it to the output jack as described below. If it still buzzes it would seem to be either the pickup or something external to the guitar.

Unsolder the current connections to the output jack and connect the pickups directly to the output jack. If they don't buzz it would seem to indicate something in the wiring or the switches, potentiometers, capacitors, resistors, etc...

If none of that works, perhaps try wearing an aluminum foil hat to block the alien rays that are causing the buzzing. It's more common than you might think.

Comment

Fluorescent lights , CFLs ?
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          Secondly, are you sure your switch is as you diagrammed? Is it working correctly? Is there a single hair sized strand of wire anywhere in your guitar that may be touching some other wire or contact (this is easily overlooked when checking the wiring/soldering/contacts).

Thirdly, that sudden unexplained cleaning up of your sound then going back to the buzz is typical of some house currents. Don't let that make you bonkers. However, it is possible that that is your problem.
                          Yes my guitars switch is wired exactly like my diagram, and yes it works correctly, audibly, as well as testing resistance of the pickups when switch between the 3 positions. No, there are no stray wires.

And isn't the purpose of the HumX to fix such issues in house current?

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                            Fluorescent lights , CFLs ?
                            LED lights only

Comment

You can get rid of the ground wires on the back of the pots because the shielding already acts as the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X