banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best bang-for-the-buck machine heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are the best bang-for-the-buck machine heads?

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Godin doesn't make those. I believe Ping does.

And I am willing to bet the tuning problem is NOT the tuning machines. Very seldom can the tuners be blamed. It's usually something else - like the nut, the setup, the bridge.... or in rare instances, the player.
    well Godin is the one that sells the ones with Godin stamped on them

ping wont sell you anything with Godin on it

thats why I keep referring to them as "the Godin Tuners"
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The cheap sealed Gotohs are probably the best bang for the buck. They're ugly, but good for the money.

If you will be keeping the guitar long term, I would just go ahead and get better tuners right from the start. I'd probably get Hipshots, myself. I do like Sperzels, though, as long as they have the small butterbean button.

Locking or not is mainly a matter of how fast you want the string changing process to be. If you can afford the extra bucks to be able to change strings very fast, go for it. If you can't, then don't. You wouldn't miss the lockers much.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        I guess I was just wondering, are those Gotohs really as good as, say, Grovers? If they are, I'm definitely ordering a set. I mean, they do use those tuners for MIJ ESP's and Ibanez Prestige.
        Gotohs are as good as Grovers were 20-some years ago before they were off-shored and the quality became inconsistent. I've had both good and bad sets of Grovers over the years, but never a bad set of Gotohs.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
        X