NGD: The old glory, and the new kid on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: The old glory, and the new kid on the block

So, this isn't exactly a new guitar, since I got it around two months ago, but with COVID, working from home and getting some material for the mods, I got this 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Special back from my tech yesterday.

Got a set of SD Vintage P90s and they are a definite improvement over the stock Epiphone P90 PROs: better definition and bloom, and lots of clarity, not that the stock ones were THAT bad.

Swapped the switch tip for a cream one (as on the Gibson version), and the Gibson poker chip, which has slighlty different lettering than the stock one.

Plays great, sounds awesome. Using volume and tone pots on these SD P90s definitely gets a lot of different tones.

Minor gripes are with the fretboard, an indian laurel one, which is definitely not as smooth as a rosewood one. Tuners are a little sketchy, but will keep them one for a while.

Althougn it came with no sharp fret ends whatsoever, the frets needed crowning, which my tech worked on.

Judging from the YT reviews I had seen before I bought it, it's really a lot of guitar for € 368! Since a Gibson would cost around € 1.200, I really couldn't justify the cost of the real one, so I guess this gets me 90% close.

Also got my ESP LTD MH-1000HS to swap the previous Lil 59, which came faulty. So I get a classic and a modern take on eletric guitars, right next to each other. Since space is becoming an issue (12 guitars in, an electroacoustic and a bass), it's time to thin out the herd. Decisions, decisions...

Image 20200718 201910 hosted in Freeimage.host

Image 20200718 201925 hosted in Freeimage.host

Image 20200718 201931 hosted in Freeimage.host

Image Webp.net resizeimage hosted in Freeimage.host
    Last edited by Synapsys; 07-19-2020, 07:43 AM.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Re: NGD: The old glory, and the new kid on the block

That Epi is actually a great little guitar, regardless of the price, esp with those SD p-90s. And I would much rather have it than the Gibson equivalent.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sweet classic score, there is something about the LP Special (in yellow) that not only looks cool but has the perfect grind and chop to the sound.

Pretty nice contrast beside that LTD too. That is a fine addition to your stable

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Thanks, guys! Epiphone really seems to have struck gold with their new 2020 lineup!

Always had a soft spot for SGs, one day I just might get one of the new ones, since it's less than half the price of a Gibson one.

I own a 2011 LP Traditional, but that one turned out perfect, which apparently was not the norm even then. Must say I'm also really curious about the 2020 Epi LP Standard 50s, just to see how it would hold up against the real deal.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

How do you like the LTD? I am seriously eyeing the blue one of that model. It looks like a fantastic, high quality instrument. How was the fretwork when new?

Comment

Flawless fretwork, just needed a setup for my playing specs. My only issue with it were the stock pickups, since I found the Pegasus sterile, so I swapped it for a Custom 5, with although differently voiced, is way more organic. The Hot Rails neck was swapped for a Little 59, modded for series / parallel wiring, and it's lower output than the HR, which is too strong for my style in the neck.
            Last edited by Synapsys; 07-23-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
              Flawless fretwork, just needed a setup for my playing specs. My only issue with it were the stock pickups, since I found the Pegasus sterile, so I swapped it for a Custom 5, with although differently voiced, is way more organic. The Hot Rails neck was swapped for a Little 59, modded for series / parallel wiring, and it's lower output than the HR, which is too strong for my style in the neck.
              Thats funny that you swapped to that pickup. I am waiting to receive an M400 that has a Custom5 in it stock.

The only mod I am going to do is add a PP vol pot to split the coils of both pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Thats funny that you swapped to that pickup. I am waiting to receive an M400 that has a Custom5 in it stock.

The only mod I am going to do is add a PP vol pot to split the coils of both pickups.
                Well, to me the C5 is a better sounding pickup. I also prefer parallel to split, so that I can keep things noiseless.

Enjoy the M400! Is it the natural finish one?

Comment

Working...
                X