• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reshaping a neck...

Possible or not?
    I want to turn a v into a c

Re: Reshaping a neck...

Not sure that it's possible, and very difficult to do if it is possible. Generally speaking moving from more shoulder to less isn't much of an issue, but going the other way may not even be possible depending on current neck size, desired final thickness, depth of the truss rod channel, etc. Since a lot of shoulder was removed to make your V shape, there may not be enough thickness left to get to a C without the remaining neck material being too thin.

OTOH I have a Spector Rebop with a very large C/D neck that i want to have re-shaped to a soft V. That isn't nearly as difficult as it only involves reducing some of the shoulder, rather than re-shaping the neck itself.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've reshaped Warmoth necks. It just takes some sandpaper and time . . . probably more of a pain in the ass with a finished neck though.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
        Possible or not?
        I want to turn a v into a c
        Generally, you can’t reduce the thickness by much due to the truss rod. However, You can reshape the profile by working the “shoulders”. The bad news is, a V shape neck already has all the material removed from the shoulders, so the best you could do is soften the V a small amount.

May be worth just getting a new neck and selling the old.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
          Generally, you can’t reduce the thickness by much due to the truss rod. However, You can reshape the profile by working the “shoulders”. The bad news is, a V shape neck already has all the material removed from the shoulders, so the best you could do is soften the V a small amount.

May be worth just getting a new neck and selling the old.
          Yeah, this is what I'm starting to think

Comment

I watched this vid last night and it doesn't seem that difficult.

I really like the idea of using 1000 grit to apply the oil.

Comment

I’ve spent a bunch of time sanding a bunch of necks. It doesn’t take a whole lot of sanding to make a big difference in feel.

If it were mine, I would use an extremely sharp pocket knife held perpendicular to the neck to remove the finish. Either resharpen the knife periodically or have several. Then, I’d use a coarse enough grit paper to knock some or the edge off the V. Rather than worrying about C or V, I’d sand a little, feel it, sand some more, then repeat until I liked how it felt.

Yeah, if you go too far, you’ll ruin it, but I bet you can wind up with something that leaves the neck solid but feels way more comfortable. If it’s not something you’re reselling, I also wouldn’t worry about it being “perfect.” SRV and EVH both have famously asymmetrical necks, and I bet if you measure the necks both of those carves are based on, there’s a lot of inconsistency or the thickness.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've reshaped a bunch of necks, usually creating a "V" or asymmetrical "V", not the other way around like you want to do.

Yes, you CAN do it. But it really depends on how much wood is there and how thin you want to end up. I definitely would NOT do as GuitarStv suggests...to use sandpaper to do it...wow, that would be a lot of work, you'd go through a lot of sandpaper, and it would be quite uncomfortable as that much sanding creates a lot of heat transmitted through the paper to your hand (been there, done that). Start by using a rasp or file and finish by scraping (as suggested by JB_From_Hell, and especially doing a little at a time and feeling as you go) and then sandpaper going from 150 to 320 grit. Complete it by using your desired finish (oil, lacquer, poly, etc.).
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  I’ve spent a bunch of time sanding a bunch of necks. It doesn’t take a whole lot of sanding to make a big difference in feel.
                  This is my experience as well. There's remarkably little difference between neck shapes, so the actual reshaping part is easier than you would expect (it doesn't take much sanding) . . . it's reshaping it exactly the way you want that can be time consuming. Sand a bit (with medium high grit paper), grab the neck you just sanded, grab a neck you like for comparison, rinse/repeat. And then do yourself a favour and finish the neck in Danish oil. (This is assuming you've already removed the finish.)

Disclaimer - I'm not a luthier, nor am I re-shaping thousands of guitar necks at a time. If it takes me six to ten hours to do it without screwing up, that's time well spent to me. (You can do this while watching TV on your couch - just sand into a big cardboard box or something to catch most of the dust.)
                  Last edited by GuitarStv; 07-20-2020, 07:46 AM.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I watched this vid last night and it doesn't seem that difficult.

I really like the idea of using 1000 grit to apply the oil.
                    That Japanese file is awesome! I used a rasp and files. Not as fun. I did a Mighty Mite strat neck, and have decal'd and finished it with antique clear lacquer. Just need tuners and a body to bolt it up to.

Comment

It’s not hard, but you need to know how far into the neck the truss rod goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"There's remarkably little difference between neck shapes"

Until you play them.

Comment

"There's remarkably little difference between neck shapes"

Until you play them.
                          The way I know if I like a guitar or bass is how the neck feels in my hands. It doesn’t take much to make the neck uncomfortable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What brand/model of neck are we talking about?
                            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
                            X