Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licenced Floyd Rose

Hi,

when I do an upbend on my licenced Floyd, then return the arm to 'normal', the guitar seems to get 'stuck' at a higher pitch unless I dip the bar again. It doesn't get stuck if I'm diving and returning to 'normal'.

Any ideas on what's causing this and how I can stop it happening?

Re: Licenced Floyd Rose

Is it floating??
    If so it would seem like your studs are worn out then.

Comment

2 possible causes (assuming the general setup is good): Worn studs, worn knife edges.

OR the studs are not the correct ones for the bridge, but if the bridge was stock on the axe that´s unlikely.
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Yeah, it's floating. It came stock with the guitar, which I've had for about 2 and a half years (and not played much in that time, to be honest). I've recently had a set-up done because the trem wasn't balanced right, and it was squeeking. The tech put a new spring in, and it was him who alerted me to how it was sticking.

Where would you guys suggest I go on this then? Try some new studs to see if that fixes it? Or just get a new bridge fitted?

Comment

Switchint to an Original Floyd or Schaller Floyd and posts will solve the problem. IF it really is the bridge, which I´m still a bit hesitant to say.

Could you maybe post pocs of the post and Knife edges?

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
            Switchint to an Original Floyd or Schaller Floyd and posts will solve the problem. IF it really is the bridge, which I´m still a bit hesitant to say.

Could you maybe post pocs of the post and Knife edges?
            Yeah, I can post some pictures. What kind of angles are you looking for (so that I don't put useless pictures up; I'm on dial-up at the moment).

Comment

The posts from the side, the knife edges preferably as a "fulll frontal" macro pic.

And YES, to take pics that would really help you´d have to disassemble the axe, possibly throwing the rest of the setup out of whack.... It´s up to you

I ´d probably wait until my next string change to do it

Comment

Hmm, the only real setting up I needed was balancing the bridge, which is basically the spring claw adjustment in the bridge cavity isn't it? (The only reason I didn't try it myself is 'cos I heard you're not supposed to do it with the strings on 'cos it knackers the knife-edge, and I didn't feel competent enough to do it with the strings off).

I ought to be able to dismantle the bridge without screwing that up? Whip the strings off, unhook the springs etc? I think I will leave it until I next take the strings off though (which shouldn't be too long, I'm trying to change them more often these days).

I have been thinking about changing the bridge out to an original Floyd or something anyway - I remember hearing that licenced Floyds are more trouble than they're worth in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                  Hmm, the only real setting up I needed was balancing the bridge, which is basically the spring claw adjustment in the bridge cavity isn't it? (The only reason I didn't try it myself is 'cos I heard you're not supposed to do it with the strings on 'cos it knackers the knife-edge, and I didn't feel competent enough to do it with the strings off).
                  Not quite, setting the ACTION height by turning the posts under string tension is the fastest way to destroy the knife edges. The strings HAVE to be on to set up the spring tension correctly. I´d call it near impossible without strings.

I ought to be able to dismantle the bridge without screwing that up? Whip the strings off, unhook the springs etc? I think I will leave it until I next take the strings off though (which shouldn't be too long, I'm trying to change them more often these days).
                  Yeah, the balance shouldnt change unless you change string guages.

I have been thinking about changing the bridge out to an original Floyd or something anyway - I remember hearing that licenced Floyds are more trouble than they're worth in the long run.
                  Most licensed Floyds will give a few years of reliable use properly set up and cared for. But AN Original or Schaller are almost always an improvement. What am I saying, almost? If it wasn´t a Gotoh or an Ibanez Edge, they ARE an improvement

Comment

I suspect it may be time to change the bridge. I've had the guitar for over 2 and a half years.

All the same, I'll get some pics up in the near future, just in case there's nothing wrong with the bridge! Thanks for the advice Zerb.

Comment

Working...
                    X