Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN: Scott_F - Strat Mod

Scott-
    You wrote in a thread by Jeff_H the following in regards to a mod he just did to a Strat:
    "My favorite Strat mod is to make use the first pot as a single volume pot for the entire guitar, then make the middle pot a tone control for the entire guitar, finally running the bottom pot as a blend control for the bridge and neck pups."
    Is there a diagram for this somewhere, or can you post one or send one mt way? I'm interested in doing this to my Strat while I'm swapping out the pups and doing a tone-bleed mod to it. I wanna do everything while I'm in there, all at once.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Re: ATTN: Scott_F - Strat Mod

Originally posted by midnite_man
    Scott-
    You wrote in a thread by Jeff_H the following in regards to a mod he just did to a Strat:
    "My favorite Strat mod is to make use the first pot as a single volume pot for the entire guitar, then make the middle pot a tone control for the entire guitar, finally running the bottom pot as a blend control for the bridge and neck pups."
    Is there a diagram for this somewhere, or can you post one or send one mt way? I'm interested in doing this to my Strat while I'm swapping out the pups and doing a tone-bleed mod to it. I wanna do everything while I'm in there, all at once.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob..This sounds more like Lew's mod...Try and hook up with Lew and see if he can help you...I Know Lew can...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I bought the blender pot from Torres and they provided the schematic for me at the time. I'll have to go look for it. DId you check guitarelectronics.com? Lew probably has it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

By the way, this set up is what Torres calls their Bluescaster wiring rig. Instead of paying twice as much for a prewired version, I just bought the individual parts and wired it up myself.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          Bob..This sounds more like Lew's mod...Try and hook up with Lew and see if he can help you...I Know Lew can...

John
          If this is what you are talking about, I first saw it from Lindy Fralin, and Tommy Rodriguez, but have no idea who first came up with it. It's on his site
          www.fralinpickups.com ... If that's the same one your are speaking of (i.e. not using a dual ganged blender balance control, only using the stock control). I post it, but I'm a little learly of posting other people's web material ... You can download the diagram of his site. He has hi volume compensation kit also, you might like Lews better though ... there are more than a few options there ... personal taste.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
            By the way, this set up is what Torres calls their Bluescaster wiring rig. Instead of paying twice as much for a prewired version, I just bought the individual parts and wired it up myself.
            Scott, is that the same one, or is the Torres' different? (See fralin's site)
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Yep, that's it.

TOrres also has aBluescaster deluxe which has a push/pull tone they call a Super Mid or something. Push it's a midrange boost/cut, pulled it's a standard tone control. I had one in the strat I sold to Stratman, but I never used it that much. But the blender is pretty cool.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

and I'm pretty sure the blender is a linear taper pot.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

FWIW I'd strongly suggest a "no load" pot for the blender. Lindy's diagram should work fine.

Chip
                  Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                  Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                  Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                  SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                  SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                  "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Okay, I'll ask, what's a no load pot? (you bongers out there, no comment)

I just bought the one from Torres when I was buying some other odds and ends.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Cool, guys. I'll check out the links you posted and talk to Lew about it as well. I thought that all I was going to have to do was some rewiring and use the bottom tone-pot as the blender, or something like that.
                      I'm wondering if I'd use this arrangement that much with those Antiquity pickups?

Comment

I just think it's kinda cool to blend the neck and the bridge together in a strat.

Plus all three in Quack Mode is a really cool tone.

The ability to blend in just a tad or the entire signal is the key to its usefulness to me. Kinda works like a tone control for me. If that bridge pup is too bright or thin, I just blend in a bit of neck.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                          I just think it's kinda cool to blend the neck and the bridge together in a strat.

Plus all three in Quack Mode is a really cool tone.

The ability to blend in just a tad or the entire signal is the key to its usefulness to me. Kinda works like a tone control for me. If that bridge pup is too bright or thin, I just blend in a bit of neck.
                          THAT'S the part of the mod that's appealing to me, being able to blend that neck pup with the bridge. I'm always finding single coil bridge pups to be too thin for my taste. I'll hook up with Lew and get his thoughts on this as well.
                          I will make the top volume pot into a master volume controller, and the middle pot into the master tone control no matter what. I never understood why Fender wired their Strats up like that, but at least it does allow an extra hole for possible mods after the fact.
                          Thanks, Scott!

Comment

You are certainly welcome, but it certainly isn't my idea! I do think it's the ultimate strat mod though. Even for beater, POS strats like mine!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

I PM'd Lew on this, plus checked out the schematic at Lindy Fralin's site. Looks like I'm on track to do this when I accumulate all the necessary parts and instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X