Carvin guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carvin guitars?

I haven't tried one myself, but my guitar video has a guy that endorses them. They look great, and from all the reviews I've read, there doesn't seem to be any bad opinions.
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

I love my Carvin as well
      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
      The only thing that got me for awhile was that I ordered 6100 frets. Just alittle adjustment, love'm now, more room for expression. Great for a heavy hand.
      Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
      Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

Comment

I have the bolt kit with 3 single coils... I was looking for a strat and couldn't find anything in my price range that impressed me. I bought the bolt kit thinking that it couldn't be worse than what I had tried. It was very nice and the kit is very easy to put together.
        The materials are top quality, fit is great. Their finish is not bad and the electronics are as good as most stock guitars.
        I'd say go for it and if you're concerned about spending money and not liking the guitar, go with the kit and save lots.
        roy
        royd
        http://www.soundclick.com/alexisd
        "once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"
        David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Comment

I spent the first half of my day today, Sat., at 'guitar row' on Sunset Blvd.
          in Hollywood. Haven't been over there for well over a year.
          I hit Guitar Center, the new Manny's Music, the Mesa store, Voltage, Freedom, and lastly, the Carvin Store.

My first good guitar was a DC 400 stereo, back in 84, then I had another one
          in 90. Everyone's opinion of their cheap electronics is dead on. CRAP.
          However, the workmanship, looks, and feel is top notch. They all play and look really nice. If you're looking for a great guitar to keep forever, buy one
          with simple passive electronics, then yank it all out and replace the pots and
          pickups. Duncans of course! Resale on Carvins isn't good, so plan on keeping it....not to mention buying used will save you big $$.

The Carvin guitars I liked a lot today were the elec/acoust tele shaped
          thinlines and Craig Chaquico model. I have to admit I was very impressed
          with some of the rosewood back fullsize acoustics, too. The Carvin
          12 string acous. with rosewood back was really tempting me! Probably
          the best 12 string I've ever played for $800. I think the acoustics have
          Fishman electronics, so they're top notch outta the box.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Unfortunately, a few million of us live on the East Coast and don't have access to a Carvin store.

Carvin's big problem is that many people have never played one. From what I hear, they are amazing quality and an amazing value, but as long as they're selling factory direct, they're hurting their potential marketplace. It cuts costs, but retailers help get your name out there and they also help to put your instruments in the hands of people who might be interested in buying them. None of my friends have Carvins.... I can't just walk into a store and try one.... hence, I'm not buying it. I adhere very strictly to the "play before you pay" mentality and I know I'm not alone. Carvins will never have the mass appeal that they need to be a "Fender-killer" because they're too DIY. Again, I understand and totally respect their business philosophy, but it's hard to get cheap bastards like me to shell out their cash for an axe they've never touched.

Having said that, they've got some stuff I'd love to try at really low prices. Ebony fretboards are especially cool....

An amends - The only exception I would make to my "play before you pay" rule is if you're getting a completely custom instrument that is being created to your own exacting specifications. If you could oversee the whole design/construction process yourself, then it would be different.
            Last edited by kill your scene; 05-03-2004, 09:29 AM.
            It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
            - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Actually, the whole reason behind Carvin is to have a low cost custom shop. You choose the model of guitar, then you choose the woods, finish, hardware, and to a certain extent, electronics. If you don't like it, return it within 10 days and you'll get your money back. Kinda cool, isn't it?
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
              X