Jcm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jcm

WHich is better the JCM 800 or 900 or 2000 or 2203 and where can you find one
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Dean Baby Z, Fender Squier Affinty Strat.

Marshall AVT 100, Fender Frontman 15G

Boss HM-3, DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby Original

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Re: Jcm

You'll get different opinions from everyone, but among tone gurus, the basic line of thought is that once Marshall introduced channel switching, it was all down hill from there. I have a 1985 50W JCM800, which is considered one of the holy grails of metal tone, and I really like it. You can't crank the gain, tho, because the added gain stage (Called 'Boost') is actually solid state, and it gets a bit buzzsaw-like. For an old school tone, take a JCM800, crank the gain 1/2 way up, and then put an overdrive pedal in front of it.

I'm sure my opinions will be met with opposing viewpoints, but this has been my experience with the whole 800 v 900 v 2000 issue.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

What Amp would be the best with the pod XT
      Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Dean Baby Z, Fender Squier Affinty Strat.

Marshall AVT 100, Fender Frontman 15G

Boss HM-3, DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby Original

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but my favorite "Marshall" sound in the POD XT is actually the Soldano SLO. The Plexi models aren't bad, but the JCM 800 model is a rather poor one. I've never cared for the JCM 2000, so I haven't played that extensively.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

79-83 JCM/JMP. A 2203 is a JCM 800 100 watter.

Comment

For POD series, I think you are looking at a wrong direction.

I'd suggest a tube/ss guitar stereo power amp (mesa 20/20) + stereo cab (two 1X12)

A stereo PA system is also excellent choice for POD setup.
            "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

I like Twilight Odyssey's answer. I use 1982 JCM 800 2204 Heads (50 watters)....I run the Gain around 6 or 7, and use either an old TS-808 or TS-9 to Push em. I don't go for Ultra Heavy , I like a warm, Overdriven Tone, with just enough attitude to get a little nasty. This set-up works well for me when using a Les Paul. When I go to the Strat, I have another 808 set for it.
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

no point in tubes if you plan to stick a digital processor in front of it IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
                  well I disagree.

Head and combo has a preamp section and poweramp section. POD is basically a guitar preamp. I think there is no point in adding another preamp section after POD. However, I strongly believe that a good tube power amp is a very good choice for POD. It definately adds certain warmth to the tone (I had mesa 20/20).

I have POD pro which is connected to PC via tube microphone premap. I like it in that way better than POD directly to PC. Tube is not the enemey of modelling preamps.

Cheers,
                  "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
                    No point in giving medicine to an AIDS patient...it's the same argument. Every little bit helps.

Comment

yeah but when the POD has a speaker simulation/power amp simulation, then the whole carbuncle goes into a valve preamp... i dont like it anyway

dont get me wrong, the POD series is all cracking kit, but as a recording preamp IMO. using it live, just play with EQ and preamp/poweramp gain to get your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
                        yeah but when the POD has a speaker simulation/power amp simulation, then the whole carbuncle goes into a valve preamp... i dont like it anyway
                        Now you're making sense! Yes, you don't want to color the signal, but doing away with tubes completely is not the way to go about things.

Comment

lol perhaps i should clarify my thinking - ill always prefer a valve amp. i saved up for 6 months instead of two for a JCM 2000

im just saying however good digital modelling gets, in thousands of years time (maybe heh) itll still just be copying a real glass tube

nowt a program trying to sound like a tube can do that a tube cant :P

Comment

JCM 2555 Silver Jubille (or Slash signature) are very good to my ear.

Ced777

Comment

Yeah JCM800 does the trick for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X