EHX Worm Opinions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EHX Worm Opinions??

Has anyone tried the Electro Harmonics Worm? I got one pretty cheap off eBay but I haven't played through it yet. I heard they can be pretty noisy?? I just like the fact that it's true bypass, American made, and 4 pedals (envelope filter, phase shifter, tremolo, vibrato) in one.
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: EHX Worm Opinions??

Originally posted by sooperunkn
    Has anyone tried the Electro Harmonics Worm? I got one pretty cheap off eBay but I haven't played through it yet. I heard they can be pretty noisy?? I just like the fact that it's true bypass, American made, and 4 pedals (envelope filter, phase shifter, tremolo, vibrato) in one.
    Been there, did that. I thought it was too noisy also. I have come to the conclusion that whenever you buy a multi-effect pedal like that, it lacks in quality in some aspect. I just sold mine on ebay, maybe it was you who bought it?

-"Bob"

Comment

Actually it probably wasn't you I sold it to as I just mailed it off yesterday.
      One thing to consider when getting into modulating effects like the ones in The Worm, with minor adjustments a phaser can sound a lot like a vibrato or flanger pedal. the only effect I found worthwhile with the Worm was the wah effect, which was deep and had a nice sweep to it when played with the speed set slow. But still, it was too noisy for my taste when activated.

-Bob

Comment

Would a "noise cancelling" pedal help reduce the noise generated from the Worm pedal (or any other pedal for that matter)? I've never used one, I was always concerned with tone comprimise (how does it determine what is noise and what isn't?).
        1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
        1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
        2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
        Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
        Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

It might help, but then you're adding another pedal to the equation and placing another buffer between you and the amp, thus losing that much more signal. So far, the only EH pedal I've liked and still own is the Big Muff U.S., and I can't hear any noise through that 'cause of the nature of the effect.
          All I can say is give the Worm pedal a try and see how you like it. If you do, and it isn't too noisy or isn't noisy at all for you, then maybe you have a keeper. What matters is that YOU like what you hear. Try it!

-Bob

Comment

Working...
          X