How do you record with a Mic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you record with a Mic?

ok, ive only dealt with digital recording and modeling stuff........i was wonderin if its possible that i could record my hiwatt with a mic? i got 57s and 58s, but where do i go from there?........i would be recording with some huge volume, couldnt i possibly fry any input i would be using from the computer?

just if any of you recording guys could give me some basic info and what not.....
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Re: How do you record with a Mic?

The microphone won't generate "frying" levels of voltage. In an extreme case, I suppose you could "fry" the mic, but I don't think anyone's done it yet.
    Somewhere, in your signal chain, you should have meters. Don't peg them.

Really, you should plug your mic into a mixer. Behringer makes some that can be had for as little as $40. I highly recommend one, not just for level-matching, but for added versatility and ease of use also.

(Then, mixer into your sound card.)

Comment

If you're using a '57, you're already starting in a good place; they're virtually bulletproof, have a proven sound, and can withstand crushing volume; you will go deaf before you overload the input of a '57, which is somewhere in the order of 130dB (beyond the pain threshold for a human).

Place the mic so it's pointing straight at the center of the cone of the best sounding speaker in your cab; belive me, they all sound different, and it's worth the time to experiment. Then slowly point the mic towards the outer edge of the cone until you get a sound you like.

You really need to use an XLR cable from the mic; then go into the mic input on a mixer; even a small Behringer or Mackie will work. Run the STEREO out into your sound card. Run the output from your computer to your monitors. If there isn't enough output from the stereo outs, use the monitor outs but BE CAREFUL you don't clip the input to your sound card.

Balance the TRIM on the mic input on the mixer so you're going in at about -18dB, and the same into your computer, and you won't have a problem. Monitor w/headphones when you record or you will gert feedback like you won't believe, unless you're in another room, in which case you will be fine.
      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-20-2004, 05:43 PM.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

If you want an easy and pretty cheap way around it. I run Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and set the recording to my mic input on my laptop. Put a mic in, set it up with the easy to use software and you're done. Tons of mixdowns and editing is possible with it (although I haven't explored all of it yet).
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

you CAN fry the input on your sound card if you hit it too hot ... you need a mic preamp (such as one built into the mixer as artie described) .. this will get you safely to a line level signal that you can adjust so that it isnt too hot (no matter how loud the amp's sound level is into the mic)

good luck
          cheers,
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

alright, well i know somebody that will let me borrow his behringer mixer......should this be ok? i think its what you were talkin about

>cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I've actually had great luck running my SM57 into my Boss BT-6. I just set it on bypass (which also happens to be the tuner). The volume pedal still controls the output. I run out from my GT-6 directly into my computer mic input. My recording program has a peak level indicater and I adjust to the proper levels.

I've also just run the mike cord directly into the mic in on the computer with decent results as well.

3 mike placements that I like best so far are:

Edge of speaker cone (about 10 oclock) mike about 1" from grill.

Center of speaker cone (about 3-4 inches from grill)

Directly between 2 speakers about 15" or so to pick up both speakers.

Just experiment a little and you'll find what works.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

If you have a 4- track? That will work as a mixer. I run my Mic into a ART
                tube preamp (around $70) It helps warm up you signal, And also has some
                limiting built in. Then into my tascam 4 track then into the sound card.
                I record bass direct into the ART ,But I use a nano compresser B4 it
                goes into the tascam to get a nice solid level. That's the main thing
                in digital recording Is getting your levels right. If you plan to record
                at high volume's a compresser/Limiter is a worth while investment.
                http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

as yes, my friend recently gave me a Tascam portastudio 244 or somethin like that? that may be prefect... i understand how to work everything, i was basically just questioning about frying the comp inputs or anythin

>cord<
                  1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Working...
                  X